Home Off Topic
Options

My hands hurt - guitarist problems

michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
I play guitar daily and for 3hr shows on the weekend. I am also typing daily for my day job as an Account Manager. Any tips on how to decrease hand pain/soreness? Supplements, vitaments, ointments, treatments, etc. Hoping for more homepathic solutions.

Comments

• Options
    TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 355

I switched to the Dvorak keyboard a long time ago to relieve hand and wrist pain. It's probably more of a time investment than you had in mind but I've never looked back. The action and thickness of your guitar strings also makes a huge difference and I'm a big fan of collagen.
  • Options
    Ifigenia94Ifigenia94 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    I personally invest a bit more on a good ergonomic mouse because I also spend most of the day in front of the screen!
    You can search for ones with a bit of incline. I usually go with angles <45deg
    :smile:
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited August 2023
    hi Michael, my go-to is this sort of self-massage-technique, it helps with any kind of pain in your body that is muscle/joint/tendon-related, not only for the hands:
    https://www.diyjointpainrelief.com/

i am a guitarist myself and struggled with repetitive strain injury for a long time before fixing it with this technique. it is all free, and it is usually only a few sessions of this and you are all good.

also, tiger balm red can help.

if you don't already, consider doing some hand warm-ups before playing. youtube has plenty of material on this for guitar players. i warm up my hands during the last few warm-up vocal scales before band practice or gigs