My hands hurt - guitarist problems
michaelmusic
2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 296
in Off Topic
I play guitar daily and for 3hr shows on the weekend. I am also typing daily for my day job as an Account Manager. Any tips on how to decrease hand pain/soreness? Supplements, vitaments, ointments, treatments, etc. Hoping for more homepathic solutions.
Comments
-
I switched to the Dvorak keyboard a long time ago to relieve hand and wrist pain. It's probably more of a time investment than you had in mind but I've never looked back. The action and thickness of your guitar strings also makes a huge difference and I'm a big fan of collagen. -
I personally invest a bit more on a good ergonomic mouse because I also spend most of the day in front of the screen!
You can search for ones with a bit of incline. I usually go with angles <45deg
Good luck! -
hi Michael, my go-to is this sort of self-massage-technique, it helps with any kind of pain in your body that is muscle/joint/tendon-related, not only for the hands:
https://www.diyjointpainrelief.com/
i am a guitarist myself and struggled with repetitive strain injury for a long time before fixing it with this technique. it is all free, and it is usually only a few sessions of this and you are all good.
also, tiger balm red can help.
if you don't already, consider doing some hand warm-ups before playing. youtube has plenty of material on this for guitar players. i warm up my hands during the last few warm-up vocal scales before band practice or gigs
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy


