Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

How to combat second hand smoke?

Hi guys, I have a concern. For the last several years my band has only been playing either outdoor gigs or places that don't allow smoking. We have a gig coming up at a private club that does allow it and now I'm kinda concerned that the smoke in the venue will hurt my voice. Are there any supplements that will help offset the negative effect that smoke has on my voice? It's a 4 set gig so I'm worried that I'll lose my voice early on and then struggle for the rest of the night.

Answers

• Options
    Esteban22Esteban22 3.0 Streaming Posts: 17
    Well this was a while ago.

I am not a medic an thus I don't make any health recommendations

However, I heard a medic on a news report saying gluthathyone (however you spell that) can help with lung damage cause by smoking; and it seems like gluthathyone is also good for vocal chords rehab in general, from what Ken said on a youtube video, and he works with ENT doctors for voice rehab so I think he knows his stuff.

So you could take a look into that, investigate and ask a medic.
    Gluthathyone is a suplement, but it can also be found naturally in some foods, like avocado. Eating avocado by itself I guess isn't dangerous in general. I don't know if the absortion or stuff would work the same as with a supplement. Guess so.

This one recommendation actually: It is always better to avoid smoke, first or second hand.
    Idk all the ways it affects the body, but it is always better to not cause the damage in first place than to try to repair it, I guess that is my common sense. Hope you find ways to say away from it and/or to protect from it, or reduce the damage.
    Blessings and great singing!