Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Why did I finish practicing KTVA Volume 2? my voice is hoarse

Why did I finish practicing KTVA Volume 2? my voice is hoarse and unable to sing any song at all bec

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    can you maybe rephrase the question please?
  • Options
    seachillseachill Member Posts: 23
    I need to be able to do lip rolls 1 and 2 so I can have energy and sing. But if I finish practicing KTVA Volume 2, my voice becomes hoarse. I don't know what's the cause. please help me
  • Options
    The last vowel in book 2 is AA, but after practicing until that vowel, the sound starts to disappear. After practice, I couldn't sing because my voice was hoarse. please help me
  • Options
    you might have oversung, or not followed the course properly (jumped to vol 2 too early). your best bet is to upload a recording so we can hear what is going on. also, get access to the student's part of the forum. we can't discuss some details in the public forum
  • Options
    Please help me please Listen to AA on #SoundCloud
    https://on.soundcloud.com/FYFym
  • Options
    assuming you were trying to bridge here, you are way too loud. your voice cracks every time when you go to the top. lower the volume so you can connect safely without hitting the speed bump. your volume will increase over time. i think maybe you went to vol 2 a bit too early? did you have all the moving targets sorted before you progressed to vol 2?
  • Options
    I practiced from volume 1 to A4, then from volume 2 to Bb 4. Then I wanted to use the head voice and after that my voice disappeared. Because I just received an answer from a friend that I shouldn't use Head voice too fast. Now I'm practicing Volume 2. I don't know if I should go back to Volume 1 or not, but I've been practicing Volume 1 for a long time, so I went to Volume 2. Thank you for answering. Thank you very much.
  • Options
    PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 202
    edited August 2023
    @seachill

Hi,

I'm currently finishing Volume 2 and I sometimes have a similar problem when I pull too strongly on the high chest notes, around my bridge.

Do you keep monitoring your velocity, as Ken insists on?
    Do you focus on avoiding a high larynx position?
    Do you avoid using too much air while doing the tongue exercise?

One of Volume 2's main goal is to bridge seamlessly, which requires air control.
    So please focus on not singing with too much air, on keeping the larynx low or neutral, and on using legato when bridging.

Your voice's sound volume will grow thanks to resonance, not by forcing the air through the chords, so let it happen and look for the best tone you can.

Cheers!

Post scriptum:

I just listened to your AA scale, and I totally agree with @Klaus_T that you may have oversung.

Your execution of the scale seems a little fast : could you please record your scales with Ken's instrumental track on in the background?

Above all, you are putting way too much weight into your notes, so that they become too heavy for your support to lift. Remember Ken's space rocket metaphor? Keep pairing down the vowels as you go up the scale, so that they stay manageable and you can focus on modding them and bridging seamlessly. A good way to put some mask into the sound, as Ken says in the volume 2 lessons.

Another thing is to keep breathing: your recording show no trace of breathtaking between the scales... Exhaling helps you relax, and then inhaling gives you the air and energy.

So please focus on singing smaller vowels and breathing correctly, because your tone is already great.

Stay cool, and please keep us informed.

To your singing!

Philippe
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the answer. I will keep it for improvement. Thank you very much.
  • Options
    michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    Hey, didn't read the above comments in detail, but I can assure you are using the incorrect technique. I can't however guide you unless I hear and see you sing in a video. Do the LAH AH vowel exercise and post the video on YouTube then share the link with us so we can critique it.

I used to have pain and get horse after singing 1 song. Now I can sing for 3 hours straight and feel fine.

Happy to help.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    @seachill

Hi!

On second thoughts, maybe your chords are inflamed for some reason: I bumped into the same kind of problem as you now when I was under covid

If so, rest until your chords are no longer inflamed, and check out Ken's advice on recovery and singing with the flu

If not, try singing less loud, pair down the vowels as you go up, keep your support strong, your larynx as low as manageable for you, and your bridging legato

I sometimes do 2 to 3 repetitions of both tongue exercises until I feel I'm replacing strength by vibration and getting the 'yawning sensation' right

And please do keep us posted, including the LAH-AH, and the LAH-OO-OH-AH if possible :smiley:

To your singing!

Philippe
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers and help everyone. I will continue to improve myself. Thank you very much everyone.
  • Options
    Please help me Listen to la #SoundCloud
    https://on.soundcloud.com/Jo7Y6
  • Options
    Hi @seachill !

I just listened to your LAH: you're not pairing down the vowel as you go up
    That is why it becomes too big for your vocal tract to shape it correctly, you lose your ping and your voice collapses in the end
    I'd say it starts at 0:34, but I'd appreciate other opinions

Are you standing when you practice? If so, please try to practice while seated, to prevent singing too loud, with too much air
    Check out Ken's video with the space rocket metaphor in Volume 1
    Also do remember the 3rd law of singing according to Ken:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MengvWW7lgw&list=PLfKCgX__DMDBGIc320m59N6YlEZ2LWRsH&index=7

It's really vital that you hold back the air and use more support, so try singing while seated and not so loud

Please send us a bridging LAH scale (not in full chest) when you're comfortable with this aspect, and then we'll talk about modding, if you want to

Cheers!

Philippe
  • Options
    michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    Just listened to your LAH. It's dopey sounding, which is VERY common. Needs to be brighter. Open the mouth almost as much as you can, without experiencing discomfort.

The tone is not supposed to be pleasant. We are working on getting a bright big sound that can be developed throughout your range. I recommend posting a video of you doing the LAH for us to see.
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer, thank you everyone.
  • Options
    @seachill keep us posted, on this same thread if possible
  • Options
    @seachill
    When it comes to paring down he vowels, full scales are an excellent exercise: the pace forces you to make the vowel smaller sot you can keep the rhythm
    So pay special attention to their monitoring when doing them: I often do them twiceunetil I get the right placement
    Cheers!
  • Options
    thank you for the advice I'm doing great now, thank you very much.