Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS
Options

Developing my YouTube Channel as a singer/songwriter

michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
edited August 2023 in SINGER/SONGWRITERS
Hello! I want to have a career as a singer/songwriter that performs at festivals and eventually headlines my own shows. I want to start building up my online presence and could use some feedback.

I want to be on all major platforms. That includes, Spotify, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and Soundcloud.

For my YouTube account, I am trying to determine what type of content I should create. Here's my channel See below some ideas. What do you think?

The following was generated by ChatGPT. Pretty Wild. Feel free to just skim the bullet points to save time.

2. Showcase your music:
- Release high-quality music videos: Invest in professionally produced music videos that visually enhance your songs. Tell a story or create visually captivating experiences that align with the emotions and themes of your music.
- Share lyric videos: Create lyric videos for your songs, allowing fans to sing along and connect more deeply with your music.
- Acoustic performances: Record intimate acoustic performances of your songs to showcase your vocal talent and offer a unique version of your music.
3. Behind-the-scenes content:
- Document your creative process: Share snippets of your songwriting sessions, studio recordings, and rehearsals to give fans a glimpse into your artistic process.
- Provide exclusive sneak peeks: Tease upcoming projects, collaborations, or new music releases to create anticipation and engage your audience.
4. Personal and lifestyle content:
- Vlogs and diary entries: Share personal moments, travel experiences, and daily life updates through vlogs or diary-style videos. This helps fans connect with you on a more personal level.
- Q&A sessions: Host interactive Q&A sessions where fans can ask questions and learn more about you, your music, and your journey.
- Share your passions: Highlight your hobbies, interests, and other talents to showcase different dimensions of your personality beyond music.
5. Collaborations and features:
- Collaborate with other artists: Engage in musical collaborations with other artists, both within and outside your genre. This expands your reach and exposes you to their fan base.
- Feature on other channels: Participate in guest features on YouTube channels, podcasts, or music blogs to gain exposure to new audiences.
- Collaboration ideas:
- Cover a song together. It can be a popular song or one of your original songs. You can also mashup or medley a song.
- Co-write a new song together. You can film the entire songwriting process, from brainstorming to recording.
- React and Respond: Collaborate with a YouTuber who reacts to music videos. They can react to your music and you can create a response video sharing your thoughts on their reaction.
- Do a cover song swap. You cover one of their songs in your style, and they cover one of your songs in their style.
- Organize a live stream jam session with fellow musicians. You can play together in real-time, interacting with your audience as you go.
- Create a joint behind-the-scenes video where you show your creative process, rehearsals, and preparations for a performance.
- Musical challenges or games. For example, you could do a "Song in 60 Seconds" challenge or a musical version of "Two Truths and a Lie."
- Collaborate with musicians from around the world by recording and combining your performances digitally. This could result in a global music video.
6. Live performances and concert footage:
- Share live performances: Post videos of your live performances, whether it's a full concert, a snippet of a show, or acoustic performances in intimate settings.
- Livestream concerts: Organize live-streamed concerts or exclusive online performances to connect with fans globally, particularly during times when in-person concerts may be limited.
7. Engage with fans:
- Respond to comments and messages: Regularly engage with your fans by responding to their comments, direct messages, and emails. Show genuine interest in their support and feedback.
- Fan-generated content: Encourage fans to create their own content related to your music, such as covers, dance routines, or artwork. Share and promote their creations to foster a sense of community and appreciation.
8. Create interactive campaigns:
- Contests and giveaways: Run online contests or giveaways where fans can participate and win exclusive merchandise, concert tickets, or meet-and-greet opportunities.
- Fan challenges: Initiate fan challenges related to your music, dance routines, or creative interpretations of your songs. Encourage fans to share their entries with dedicated hashtags.
9. Engage on social media platforms:
- Regular updates: Post frequent updates on your social media platforms, including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and TikTok. Share content that aligns with each platform's format and audience preferences.
- Stories and live sessions: Utilize the story features on platforms like Instagram and Facebook to share more spontaneous and behind-the-scenes moments. Host live sessions for Q&A, performances, or announcements.
10. Collaborate with influencers and music communities:
- Identify relevant influencers and music-related communities on social media platforms. Collaborate with them for features, shoutouts, or joint content creation.
- Participate in trending challenges or hashtags within the music community to expand your visibility and connect with like-minded individuals.

Comments

• Options
    michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    Tagging some people for feedback. Feel free to comment any other artists you think that do something similar so I can get a better idea of what I should do.
    @DannyOc3an
    @bentk
    @Wigs
    @LindseyBean
    @guychan
    @Terence
    @Vocality
    @Maarten
    @kworam
  • Options
    GuyChanGuyChan 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 168
    Hey Michael. Well, The information you shared below is pretty good advice. Personally, I was heading towards making cover songs. It's pretty simple, and it is said to work. Of course, that depends on the quality of your content. You better have a good mic and mixing, and a good quality video. Actually, take example on the KTVA channel ! And by the way... Isn't it possible that you get to sing for Ken Tamplin's Channel ? But you know, what kind of content you may post depends on which kind of exchange you wanna have with your followers. I did a little YouTube study, and the teacher told me to create a channel on which you post only one type of content. This means that you should create a channel for cover songs, or compositions, or live footage, etc, but apparently, it is advised that you don't share several types of content on the same channel. This would help your videos and your channel grow and get more visibility on the platform. That's what I learned.

Personally, I wouldn't try to start by sharing my own songs. I would start by making covers... Unless you find a way to promote your work. Try to touch as much people as you can!
  • Options
    TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 355

Only the story you're passionate about telling will inspire and sustain your interest in creating content. It's also what will attract the viewers you want. All on the ChatGPT list is good if you're passionate about creating it.

I agree with @GuyChan about not getting too eclectic. Staying the same overall theme is probably enough commonality, though.