Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Optimal Space & Environment for Singing

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've last posted. I have a question regarding singing environment for practice.

I live in an apartment/duplex. I've gotten myself an IsoVox vocal booth and some foam for practicing in my bedroom. However, I still can't help but feel uncomfortable practicing/singing loud knowing I have neighbors (who thankfully haven't yelled at me yet). I find myself feeling most comfortable in the car, but I don't sing long in the car (30min and not 1-2 hours, which is what I want).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my best options are for optimal, frequent practice? Any tips/advice on renting studios for practice? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 355
    edited September 2023
    Use Google Earth to find a space close to you. Solutions are:

- A place with 600 or more yards of separation from people or buildings.
    - Hiking trails with very few people on the trails (sometimes no people depending on time of day.)
    - Commercial centres after hours.
    - A large park with a soccer field not in use.
    - A lake separated from the housing development.
    - A college parking lot, after hours.
    - Just a road with a decent sidewalk without so much traffic that the fumes interfere. The cars do a great job drowning out the sound.

These are actual descriptions of where I've been doing vocal exercises in the past 2 years. I call them "singing spots." I rotate in and out of them depending on the day/time.

I recently built an office in our garage and doubled the drywall. It's not perfect but my family cannot hear me from inside the house. Still, I had to become good at finding singing spots and have used what I learned to find them when traveling, even in dense metropolitan areas. Comes in very handy.
  • Options
    lukethemuselukethemuse 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 43
    Thanks Terence!
  • Options
    Derek_RodriguesDerek_Rodrigues 3.0 Streaming Posts: 12
    I just go to a sparsely filled parking lot and do it in my car
  • Options
    Dewy69Dewy69 3.0 Streaming Posts: 35
    Can your neighbors hear you? Have you asked? Maybe they don't hear. Or not loud enough to be bothered. Home is the most comfortable place to practice for sure. But it is important to be comfortable.