Optimal Space & Environment for Singing
lukethemuse
2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 43
Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've last posted. I have a question regarding singing environment for practice.
I live in an apartment/duplex. I've gotten myself an IsoVox vocal booth and some foam for practicing in my bedroom. However, I still can't help but feel uncomfortable practicing/singing loud knowing I have neighbors (who thankfully haven't yelled at me yet). I find myself feeling most comfortable in the car, but I don't sing long in the car (30min and not 1-2 hours, which is what I want).
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my best options are for optimal, frequent practice? Any tips/advice on renting studios for practice? Thank you.
I live in an apartment/duplex. I've gotten myself an IsoVox vocal booth and some foam for practicing in my bedroom. However, I still can't help but feel uncomfortable practicing/singing loud knowing I have neighbors (who thankfully haven't yelled at me yet). I find myself feeling most comfortable in the car, but I don't sing long in the car (30min and not 1-2 hours, which is what I want).
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my best options are for optimal, frequent practice? Any tips/advice on renting studios for practice? Thank you.
Comments
-
Use Google Earth to find a space close to you. Solutions are:
- A place with 600 or more yards of separation from people or buildings.
- Hiking trails with very few people on the trails (sometimes no people depending on time of day.)
- Commercial centres after hours.
- A large park with a soccer field not in use.
- A lake separated from the housing development.
- A college parking lot, after hours.
- Just a road with a decent sidewalk without so much traffic that the fumes interfere. The cars do a great job drowning out the sound.
These are actual descriptions of where I've been doing vocal exercises in the past 2 years. I call them "singing spots." I rotate in and out of them depending on the day/time.
I recently built an office in our garage and doubled the drywall. It's not perfect but my family cannot hear me from inside the house. Still, I had to become good at finding singing spots and have used what I learned to find them when traveling, even in dense metropolitan areas. Comes in very handy. -
Thanks Terence!
-
I just go to a sparsely filled parking lot and do it in my car
-
Can your neighbors hear you? Have you asked? Maybe they don't hear. Or not loud enough to be bothered. Home is the most comfortable place to practice for sure. But it is important to be comfortable.
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
