Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Judas Priest - Living After Midnight | Vocal Cover

Hi, all.

@doc_ramadani @Wigs @Rick_amateur @Vocality @Diego @highmtn

I started the program back in 2019 and worked volume 1 for six months. Life happened and I quit having time to do daily exercises. I did still sing along with the radio occasionally and practiced support, which I have gotten to be something I don’t have to force myself to think about as much. I am now back on the program for a month. I started two weeks on volume one and have been two weeks on volume two.

Here is a song I am working on now. I am doing some slight vowel modifications on the highest notes. My chest stretching has made those notes a touch easier. Also trying to do some glottal compression, but I have a hard time remembering it.

Appreciate any feedback you can give.

https://on.soundcloud.com/PTz5oe7KmihqA1k29

Comments

• Options
    VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,602
    Hey Mysti

Great to hear your back doing the workouts liked the song very much and really liked your version, thought your vibrato suited the song very well and Your getting notes good job. On a critque would say improve support, strength in the sound also be aware not sing those consonants too loud. Any case the training will help alot in those areas.

Well good song choice you rocked it, its fantastic to hear your getting back to workouts and all in all very good cover!

Hopefully I will get something posted soon, have managed to keep up with exercises and definately made a ton of progress. Had moved to volume 3 recently but dropped back to 1 after a cold then now on volume 2. Now freely move between volumes depending on how i feel at that time.

Look foward to hearing more songs Mysti that was really good considering your break well done!

George

• Options
    MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    Thank you, George! @Vocality Those consonants I always have trouble with. I was taught by the chorus teacher in middle school to enunciate. Guess he was a theater guy. Now it is hard to unlearn after doing it for so long.

Will continue working on that and the support.

I am looking forward to hearing yours when you post it. Will be great to hear your progress!
  • Options
    michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    Hello Mysti,

Thank you for sharing this with us!

To start, the pitch sounds good. Sounds like you are hearing the correct pitch and able to hit that well.

Tone sounds a bit thinner and not resonant. Making sure you have the correct placement of the sound in the back of the throat will be key here. Also making sure to have proper breath support is also huge.

There's some parts where you have a bit vibrato and it understandably sounds forced because of the placement in the throat.

I'd focus on the fundamentals and sending us a video or at least audio of you singing the LAH AH vowel.

You are well on your way! Great job singing this song and keep up the great work Mysti.
  • Options
    Rick_amateurRick_amateur 2.0 PRO Posts: 708
    Hi Mysti!

Welcome back! Glad that you have a chance to get back into singing.

One thing I'd recommend is to not feel bad about staying longer on Volume 1. I find myself revisiting the basics because there are things I overlook when I first did it. I'm mentioning this because, likely due to the break, your breath control need work again. Mastering the basics should help you the most.

Looking forward to you being more active again!

Rick
  • Options
    MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    Hi, @michaelmusic

Nice to meet you! Thank you so much for your feedback. I hear what you are saying about the tone, along with George and Rick both talking about breath support. I feel like I have breath support down, but maybe not as well as I thought I did. I wonder if me just starting on glottal compression could be making my voice sound weak.

I am not sure what is going on with my vibrato. I am not forcing it as it just happens, but it does not sound right to me either. You think I am doing vibrato in my throat? I will research that some. I remember Ken talking about that in one of his videos. Not sure if it was a course video or something on youtube.

I am headed out of town and will be gone for a couple of weeks. I will record and post the lah-ah triad when I get back. I need to get my better recording gear setup too. I just used my iPad to record the current one.

Hi, @Rick_amateur

Good to see you again! It does feel great to be singing again. I will go back and listen again to volume 1 lessons. It has been a while. It took me about two weeks to listen to everything in volume 2. There is so much! I have been wanting to learn the vowel modifications. Now that I have learned them somewhat, it will be good to re-listen to it.

Thanks to all of you for listening and giving me feedback. Every bit helps.

Mysti