Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Range - can I get it back?

When I was working with Ken, he brought me up to an F#5, we may have got to an A5.

Well, anyways, after that time I eventually got a C6. I'm working the program, 2-3 times a week of doing chest twice, and head once. (I never did that before btw). Sometimes I'm able to ascend to an G5...most times I can't really nail the F#5. I usually can only do the E5 clean and sometimes the F5 clean.

I feel the pressure - I know the issue is not really range but rather relaxing into the higher pitches, but I can't seem to remember how to do it. I just feel that pressure come in and I can't get release it.

Did I lose the range or will this come back?

Comments

• Options
    TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 355

I asked Ken a similar question on a recent webinar. @Joshua is asking about recovering a previous hard-won C6 and my question was how to extend from from F#5 upwards. Ken said the key was to get very comfortable in head voice with the tract-shaping ooh-oh-ah-aye-ee's around E5 and that would start to free uppermost head-voice.

That's been working and I'm starting to regularly touch on G#5. But it is hard and slow work. This is as a baritone who could never get that high before. If you're recovering previous range the same technique would probably go more quickly. I know for sure it's not an age limitation in your case @Joshua

Would be keen to hear other thoughts on extending upper limits of head voice.
  • Options
    JoshuaJoshua Member, Enrolled Posts: 108