Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Singing after recovering from COVID / Laryngitis / A bad phlegmy cough

BeckieBeckie 3.0 Streaming Posts: 11
Hey there,

I could really use some advice about getting back into singing after dealing with a bout of COVID, laryngitis, a persistent, phlegmy cough, and fatigue (and not from lack of sleep). It's been quite the road to recovery.

So, starting from October 22nd, I've been easing back into singing. I'm following Ken's voice repair course to do things the right way, but I've noticed that after around 30 minutes of practice, my soft palate starts to feel achy. Is this somewhat like hitting the gym after a long break, where your muscles need to get back into the groove?

To be honest, I'm still struggling a bit with holding my breath as not to release too much air, but I'm making progress in engaging my vocal support.

Here's the thing: I've joined a choir to get some practice in, and Wednesday this week will be my first session back since I was unwell. Do you think it's okay for me to jump back in so soon, or is it better to be cautious? I know it might sound a bit dramatic, but I'd rather not risk any harm to my voice (lol).

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to read this, and any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated! 😄🎶

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited October 2023
    hi, if there is no active inflammation in your throat, it should be safe to start again. only an ENT will be able to tell for sure if there is some inflammation or not. it is safest to rely on a doctor to make the decision. if there is no inflammation (and no other ENT condition the doctor finds), you are safe to continue. if you are positive there is no inflammation, and you are not in pain, it should be fine
  • Options
    BeckieBeckie 3.0 Streaming Posts: 11
    Morning @Klaus_T ,

Thanks for the reassurance. So, my throat's generally alright, but when I'm going through that voice repair course and stretching my vocal cords, it's like there's still a bit of phlegm lingering there. And yeah, during the day, I've got this constant urge to clear my throat.

As long as I follow your advice and keep an eye on any inflammation or pain, I'm guessing that pesky phlegm situation will work itself out eventually.

Thank you for the response :smiley:
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    sure, no problem. yeah sounds like you are safe there. you can use turmeric and some other things to help with combatting mucus. Ken has a video about this, if you search his channel on YT for "mucus" you should find it easily.

this forum will have lots of other tips for this keyword. hot steamy showers also help. hope it goes away quickly