How to sing head voice screams?
AcesHigh
Member Posts: 35
Hi
I am more used to belting Iron Maiden songs.
I am not so used to my head voice.
I am influenced by singers like Tim Ripper Owens and Rob Halford.
The problem is that my voice sounds too much like Axl Rose in the high register.
Do i sound like Axl Rose?
I recorded a clip from a Judas Priest song below.
I dont know if i use the right technique but it feels thin when i sing it.
https://vocaroo.com/18ee31Ql5WCJ
I am more used to belting Iron Maiden songs.
I am not so used to my head voice.
I am influenced by singers like Tim Ripper Owens and Rob Halford.
The problem is that my voice sounds too much like Axl Rose in the high register.
Do i sound like Axl Rose?
I recorded a clip from a Judas Priest song below.
I dont know if i use the right technique but it feels thin when i sing it.
https://vocaroo.com/18ee31Ql5WCJ
Comments
-
I dont know if you use the right technique either...and kind of hard to hear, but what I do hear, sounds like a pretty damn good scream! In my opinion. And pretty sure I mix in there, but I am just working on that part of the course now. No expert. About 10 months in the course.
I woudlnt say you sound like Axl in that scream..but similar. Sound a less whiny than Axl. I think. But again, it is a little hard for me to hear the scream clearly enough to say for sure. In that short clip. -
Thank you for sharing. Your frequent sharing of your voice in the forum can help you improve significantly.
Since this clip is 12 seconds, of which half of those are instrumental, any assessment I can provide wouldn't accurately represent the current level your voice is at.
Real improvement happens when we are honest with ourselves about the current state of our voice and then get the correct knowledge about how to improve. Then we apply that knowledge correctly with feedback from accomplished singers.
I recommend sharing either an acoustic version of you singing a song or a version with the instrumental VERY low and barely any effects on the voice so we can truly critique it.
Thank you for posting and keep up the great work! -
Ok i tried adding some rasp. I still practice.
-
it is short and really hard to say if the technique is good/safe. if you have a longer clip and ideally where the vocal is a bit more present in the mix, we could tell you more. what i do hear, to me it sounds like one of those typical metal screams, and good and authentic. but then, some of those famous rock/metal guys blew their voices over time, and they also sounded "good" while it lasted

especially with these screams and pressure levels, you need the technique to be safe.
when you say it feels "thin", is that meant as in "narrowed-down sound", like as in "shedding weight up top"? if so, that could be a good thing. are you watching Ken's YT, and have you heard about vowel modifications? this is what it comes down to to manage the air pressure, and to not shred the cords with too much air. the other important concept is to learn how to support from the diaphragm. if you haven't, you should look into it.
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

