Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

How to sing head voice screams?

Hi
I am more used to belting Iron Maiden songs.
I am not so used to my head voice.
I am influenced by singers like Tim Ripper Owens and Rob Halford.
The problem is that my voice sounds too much like Axl Rose in the high register.
Do i sound like Axl Rose?
I recorded a clip from a Judas Priest song below.
I dont know if i use the right technique but it feels thin when i sing it.

https://vocaroo.com/18ee31Ql5WCJ

Comments

• Options
    Dewy69Dewy69 3.0 Streaming Posts: 35
    edited November 2023
    I dont know if you use the right technique either...and kind of hard to hear, but what I do hear, sounds like a pretty damn good scream! In my opinion. And pretty sure I mix in there, but I am just working on that part of the course now. No expert. About 10 months in the course.

I woudlnt say you sound like Axl in that scream..but similar. Sound a less whiny than Axl. I think. But again, it is a little hard for me to hear the scream clearly enough to say for sure. In that short clip.
  • Options
    michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    Thank you for sharing. Your frequent sharing of your voice in the forum can help you improve significantly.

Since this clip is 12 seconds, of which half of those are instrumental, any assessment I can provide wouldn't accurately represent the current level your voice is at.

Real improvement happens when we are honest with ourselves about the current state of our voice and then get the correct knowledge about how to improve. Then we apply that knowledge correctly with feedback from accomplished singers.

I recommend sharing either an acoustic version of you singing a song or a version with the instrumental VERY low and barely any effects on the voice so we can truly critique it.

Thank you for posting and keep up the great work!
  • Options
    AcesHighAcesHigh Member Posts: 28
    Ok i tried adding some rasp. I still practice.
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    it is short and really hard to say if the technique is good/safe. if you have a longer clip and ideally where the vocal is a bit more present in the mix, we could tell you more. what i do hear, to me it sounds like one of those typical metal screams, and good and authentic. but then, some of those famous rock/metal guys blew their voices over time, and they also sounded "good" while it lasted ;)

especially with these screams and pressure levels, you need the technique to be safe.

when you say it feels "thin", is that meant as in "narrowed-down sound", like as in "shedding weight up top"? if so, that could be a good thing. are you watching Ken's YT, and have you heard about vowel modifications? this is what it comes down to to manage the air pressure, and to not shred the cords with too much air. the other important concept is to learn how to support from the diaphragm. if you haven't, you should look into it.