Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Feedback on John Parish, PJ Harvey - That Was My Veil

Ifigenia94Ifigenia94 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
Hello there,

I recorded this cover from PJ Harvey! She uses mostly a deep voice and a fake high one which I really love! I had so much fun singing this and would love some feedback here!

I actually like that I went very low and breathy showing a kind of desperation. On the chorus line though I think I have a problem with stretching („That was my veil..“, „Give me back..“)
What do you think?

@Terence @Klaus_T @DannyOc3an @Wigs @Elara and whoever wishes to add to it :smile:

Thanks for listening and hope you enjoy it ☺️

Cover / John Parish, PJ Harvey - That Was My Veil

https://soundcloud.com/ifigenia_94/cover-john-parish-pj-harvey/s-wGkDchEpxXM?si=206d67ed71654a099013432b849871f6&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Comments

• Options
    Just a quick reminder on my post ☺️
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited November 2023
    hi, ah sorry i missed this one before. thanks for bumping it back up :)

i didn't know the song, and the singer really (apart from maybe a few of her songs years ago). having only heard yours, i thought it sounded like a lot of air. but then, i listened to the original, and it does sound very similar.

what do you mean by "fake high" voice?

and yes i think for the chorus you do need a bit more belting. apart from it maybe being a range/stretch thing as you said, you could also look into maybe supporting it more and playing with the vowels so that it is brighter and more pingy. you are ducking it a bit there (for example on "time"). you could try to "shout" these syllables where you duck a bit more to make sure they sound more chesty. also the pitch goes off a little bit here and there. her part there sounds super cool and effortless and also hard to gauge how loud she does it, for me anyway.

sounded quite hard to sing and you did well overall.
  • Options
    @Klaus_T Thanks for your feedback :blush:
    Yes there is a lot of air in this song, but isnt it the whole point of singing to have for each song a different approach even if its not totally technically correct? I mean if the song wasnt that breathy and I chose to do so, wouldnt it still be nice aside of the technicalities?
    I have heard from someone that one should learn the technique and then forget it. This still has a place in my mind.

I mean that generally when she sings in head voice she is not doing it as if she were singing opera, but in a 'talentless' way, as if she cant sing.
    I will definitely try supporting and playing with the vowels! When shes singing, it all seems so effortless (I still believe that the people who play a wind instrument can definitely sing very well and supported).
    Could you tell me in which parts its a bit off pitch so I can pay more attention there?

Many many thanks again :smiley:
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Yes there is a lot of air in this song, but isnt it the whole point of singing to have for each song a different approach even if its not totally technically correct?
    yeah, maybe. as long as you are aware of it and are able to use it on purpose vs it being a technical limitation
  • Options
    listening to both versions again, i think that what i thought was the pitch is just a vibrato. i thought at first that from 1:10 to 1:25 there were a few dips in the pitch but not sure anymore. the more i listen to it the more i think you done a really good job in copying her :)