Feedback on John Parish, PJ Harvey - That Was My Veil
Ifigenia94
3.0 Streaming Posts: 57
Hello there,
I recorded this cover from PJ Harvey! She uses mostly a deep voice and a fake high one which I really love! I had so much fun singing this and would love some feedback here!
I actually like that I went very low and breathy showing a kind of desperation. On the chorus line though I think I have a problem with stretching („That was my veil..“, „Give me back..“)
What do you think?
@Terence @Klaus_T @DannyOc3an @Wigs @Elara and whoever wishes to add to it
Thanks for listening and hope you enjoy it ☺️
Cover / John Parish, PJ Harvey - That Was My Veil
https://soundcloud.com/ifigenia_94/cover-john-parish-pj-harvey/s-wGkDchEpxXM?si=206d67ed71654a099013432b849871f6&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
I recorded this cover from PJ Harvey! She uses mostly a deep voice and a fake high one which I really love! I had so much fun singing this and would love some feedback here!
I actually like that I went very low and breathy showing a kind of desperation. On the chorus line though I think I have a problem with stretching („That was my veil..“, „Give me back..“)
What do you think?
@Terence @Klaus_T @DannyOc3an @Wigs @Elara and whoever wishes to add to it
Thanks for listening and hope you enjoy it ☺️
Cover / John Parish, PJ Harvey - That Was My Veil
https://soundcloud.com/ifigenia_94/cover-john-parish-pj-harvey/s-wGkDchEpxXM?si=206d67ed71654a099013432b849871f6&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
Comments
-
Just a quick reminder on my post ☺️
-
hi, ah sorry i missed this one before. thanks for bumping it back up

i didn't know the song, and the singer really (apart from maybe a few of her songs years ago). having only heard yours, i thought it sounded like a lot of air. but then, i listened to the original, and it does sound very similar.
what do you mean by "fake high" voice?
and yes i think for the chorus you do need a bit more belting. apart from it maybe being a range/stretch thing as you said, you could also look into maybe supporting it more and playing with the vowels so that it is brighter and more pingy. you are ducking it a bit there (for example on "time"). you could try to "shout" these syllables where you duck a bit more to make sure they sound more chesty. also the pitch goes off a little bit here and there. her part there sounds super cool and effortless and also hard to gauge how loud she does it, for me anyway.
sounded quite hard to sing and you did well overall.
-
@Klaus_T Thanks for your feedback

Yes there is a lot of air in this song, but isnt it the whole point of singing to have for each song a different approach even if its not totally technically correct? I mean if the song wasnt that breathy and I chose to do so, wouldnt it still be nice aside of the technicalities?
I have heard from someone that one should learn the technique and then forget it. This still has a place in my mind.
I mean that generally when she sings in head voice she is not doing it as if she were singing opera, but in a 'talentless' way, as if she cant sing.
I will definitely try supporting and playing with the vowels! When shes singing, it all seems so effortless (I still believe that the people who play a wind instrument can definitely sing very well and supported).
Could you tell me in which parts its a bit off pitch so I can pay more attention there?
Many many thanks again
-
Yes there is a lot of air in this song, but isnt it the whole point of singing to have for each song a different approach even if its not totally technically correct?yeah, maybe. as long as you are aware of it and are able to use it on purpose vs it being a technical limitation
-
listening to both versions again, i think that what i thought was the pitch is just a vibrato. i thought at first that from 1:10 to 1:25 there were a few dips in the pitch but not sure anymore. the more i listen to it the more i think you done a really good job in copying her
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
