How many days a week should you practice
louisjames
Enrolled Posts: 130
I know it’s subjective but what’s a general rule of thumb ? I saw on kens Instagram chat with Gabbi, she said every other day she would warm up and then sing songs for 40 plus minutes ? Is this a good way to do it ? Also, Which volumes should I focus on if my technique is decent ? To sum up is 2-3 hours every other day a good way to start ? Also will this improve my stamina and will it help increase range ? Thank you
Best Answer
-
Official course rec. is 5-6 days per week.
I've put some effort into discovering what's optimal for me. Like Gabby shares, I've found an extended rest after an intense workout to be excellent.
plateau buster
https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/17733/plateau-busting-workout-regimen
extended rest
https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/17181/extended-rest-experiences#
Answers
-
to start, 2-3 hrs might be a bit too much. beginners are told to do about 10-20 mins a day and slowly move up to the full 45 mins (vol 1) and then 1 hr eventually for the higher volumes. that's warmup only, no "singing songs" included remember we want to build muscle and muscle memory, so quality beats quantity. if you can handle it and don't feel fatigued, you are probably ready for such an amount, but you might have to find a balance that works for you. i find that sometimes a break of a few days (mostly unintentional due to life), or dialing back to vol 1 or the starters for a few days makes me feel really good coming back to vol 3. not sure why but i suggest you experiment with a few variations to find your ideal pattern. in general, 5-6 times a week, i would not deviate from this too much because Ken suggests this, and i am sure this is not a random number but based on experience
-
I wouldn’t say I’m a beginner, I’ve been a touring artist for over 15 years. But after covid first hit the band finished and I stopped singing daily for quite some time. Just singing here and there for recordings etc. so with that in mind, I suppose you could say I’m kind of starting all over (beginner) I’ve clearly lost something … and it’s heartbreaking … that being said I can manage to sing for a few hours or so:.. I’m just not sure where I should start from seeing how I haven’t done much over the past few years… I can still sing along to my old stuff and bands such as zeppelin and gnr… but it’s a day to day thing sometimes I have it others k don’t … I lack patienece with myself. I just want to be able to sing how I used to…. I think alot of it is in my head tbh but that’s half the battle
-
Now that you've shared your recent context, @louisjames , it sounds very similar to what another student @Joshua has been going through. You are both singers who reached a high level of development before taking an extended break. You might want to check out his recent posts:
Start of return
https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/17773/im-not-new-but-ive-been-away-for-so-long-its-like-i-am#
latest update
https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/17181/extended-rest-experiences#
Gabby also mentions starting back with singing every other day when coming back from a break. There's a lot of wisdom in that's not so obvious. Among other things, it means we do our vocal work for the day then the growth/recovery happens between sessions (kind of like weightlifting.) I like watching training videos or one of Ken's skype lessons with another student during recovery, sometimes on double-speed. Amazing what little gems I missed on the first time through.
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

