Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Singing higher in chest voice

Hi everyone! I am a new singer and I recently saw the video of Ken Tamplin about the belt or call register which is when you sing higher than around a C4 note. I was wondering if that is in pure chest voice or is it a sort of chesty mix? Because I struggle singing over a C#4 in pure chest voice. Can someone also recommend if I should work on stretching my chest voice or working on mix voice to sing above a C#4?

Comments

• Options
    TerenceTerence 3.0 Streaming Posts: 355
    C#4 is a common first passage note, and likely the lowest note of your call register, where vowel shapes begin to modify to ascend. It's usually not until the second passage that you must have some element of head voice present to ascend from there.

When you sing a scale singing AH where do you first start to feel a tug in the back of your throat as you ascend?
  • Options
    Jesse101Jesse101 Member Posts: 3
    Around a b3 I think
  • Options
    Jesse101 said:

Around a b3 I think

That is consistent with the Bass voice making the start of your first passage a B3. Your vowels will start to slightly modify from here and your call voice be from B3 to a 4rth to 5th above (E4-F#4) depending on how much you can stretch your chest voice.
  • Options
    Jesse101Jesse101 Member Posts: 3
    But im not a bass, im a beginner…
  • Options
    Jesse101 said:

But im not a bass, im a beginner…

Ah, my bad for reading too much into the B3. Obviously, we'd need to hear more about your voice to figure out what you're going through.