Singing higher in chest voice
Jesse101
Member Posts: 3
Hi everyone! I am a new singer and I recently saw the video of Ken Tamplin about the belt or call register which is when you sing higher than around a C4 note. I was wondering if that is in pure chest voice or is it a sort of chesty mix? Because I struggle singing over a C#4 in pure chest voice. Can someone also recommend if I should work on stretching my chest voice or working on mix voice to sing above a C#4?
Comments
-
C#4 is a common first passage note, and likely the lowest note of your call register, where vowel shapes begin to modify to ascend. It's usually not until the second passage that you must have some element of head voice present to ascend from there.
When you sing a scale singing AH where do you first start to feel a tug in the back of your throat as you ascend? -
Around a b3 I think
-
That is consistent with the Bass voice making the start of your first passage a B3. Your vowels will start to slightly modify from here and your call voice be from B3 to a 4rth to 5th above (E4-F#4) depending on how much you can stretch your chest voice.Jesse101 said:Around a b3 I think
-
But im not a bass, im a beginner…
-
Ah, my bad for reading too much into the B3. Obviously, we'd need to hear more about your voice to figure out what you're going through.Jesse101 said:But im not a bass, im a beginner…
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
