Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Feedback on Live Performance

michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
I recently had a live performance of all original music. I was able to get the audio from the soundboard to have a higher quality mix for feedback.

https://youtu.be/OB2Vs5G2f7U

My vocals sound strained. It was humbling to hear this recording as it's much different than I sound when singing in my bedroom.

I suspect I force the sound to be much louder when I sing live. I over-sing live whereas in my bedroom I'm much more comfortable.

My singing is very inconsistent now and I want to change that.

I have a vocal lesson with Ken Tamplin on Feb 22nd.

Please share any feedback you have on my singing by watching even 1 song in this video and what I should ask Ken Tamplin. Thank you!
@DannyOc3an
@bentk
@Wigs
@LindseyBean
@guychan
@Terence
@Vocality
@Maarten
@kworam

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hey Michael, i think that's normal to feel better at home. you have endless amount of attempts and suddenly when the pressure is on live or when recording, you notice all these little things. i suspect, performance wise, it is not much worse than when you sing at home, it is just that the focus shifts to other things then. what is true, every venue and situation is different and yes you will have to do a lot of shows to learn to adapt to these things, or get used to it being different every time. it's a process of ups and downs. playing live is a real different story than playing at home.

i think you did well, just check this one off as an experience and move on to the next stage. the bands and singers we love had hundreds if not thousands of shows before they recorded "that" album or did "this" performance.

not sure what to ask Ken, i would trust that he will have the best sense of what you need to work on.

regarding this "wrong key" thing in the video: don't point out any mistakes, or bring more attention to them than necessary, like that with the accidental key change. no one remembers that you started the song in the wrong key after the song is over, so no need to remind them again.

anyway, great that you are playing your own material live
  • Options
    michaelmusicmichaelmusic 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 252
    @Klaus_T Thanks for the feedback! After this performance I have started to commit more time to singing daily. By far, my biggest area of improvement is to dedicate more time to singing.