Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Struggling to go higher than Ab5

Hi guys! I can sing up to an Ab5 in mixed voice. I can go higher, but for some reason it constricts on me and it hurts. Any tips?

Comments

• charlie_vcharlie_v Moderator, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 124
    How far through the course are you? What’s your natural range? Are you a bass? If so, Ab4 is high!

Are you doing your vocal mods? Are you singing quietly? (You can’t do loud straight away) are you feeling your throat open? I’ve only just begun to experience this, & it’s great!
    My passagio is F#4-Bb4. Really difficult singing in this range, but the exercises are getting better & better in this range, so I’m confident this will improve!
  • AriGAriG Member Posts: 2
    I’ve only been watching Ken’s videos, I can actually go up to Bb5 now. I find that if I think too much, it distorts, but if I just go up there without thinking, it’s cleaner. Should I work on singing quieter too?
    Do you mean Bb5? C4 is Middle C. C5 is an octave above. You’re 1 tone off C6 which is normally top of range for a soprano, which would be incredible!

I’d really encourage you to invest in the course, so you can take advantage of it! This will help you vary volume effectively.