This thing called ping
venusrising
3.0 Streaming Posts: 4
Halloo...I've searched the forums and I'm still not getting what 'ping' is. I just bought the Voice Repair program and he mentions how 'ping is king' but doesn't describe or show what ping is. Does he have a video about it or would some brave soul be willing to record yourself showing the concept/goal so we can have an audio of it? TIA
Comments
-
This is my attempt to demonstrate!
The first arpeggio is trying to get a ping. The tone is bright, the sound is forward.
The second is my attempt at an oscuro, classical sound, which is further back.
The third is softer, with lots of air passing over the cords.
Does that help? (PS I’m only 4 months in, so I’m near the beginning of my journey!)
https://on.soundcloud.com/o45AxAadTRu4vpmV7 -
Airiness - Cord Closure
https://join.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/products/how-to-sing-3-0-volume-1/categories/2148248784/posts/2150218673
Anytime on the course where Ken says, "It's the LAH-AHhhh" you're hearing what he means by "ping."
https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/8571/ping-stories-when-did-you-notice-way-more-ping
Think of it as cord closure. When the cords approximate we get stronger harmonics in the waveform which sounds "brighter." Synthesizers can produce a sine wave (not bright) or a sawtooth wave (very bright.) The sawtooth wave has the ping sound. -
Hi Terence - I don't have access to the first link. Is that only available to those who bought 3.0?
-
Yes, I saw 3.0 streaming on your userid and assumed you had access.venusrising said:Hi Terence - I don't have access to the first link. Is that only available to those who bought 3.0?
-
Oh that's weird. I enrolled in the Vocal Repair program because I'm having some major problems with unwanted overtones. If I can make those go away then will likely sign up for 3.0.
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

