Numb vocal cords
Philip_G
3.0 Streaming Posts: 5
Hi!
So I'm a new student of the 3.0 course.
And my first message here!
This will be a fairly long message. I apologize for that in advance. But I feel a backstory would benefit my questions.
The issue is this:
When I do the LA-AAH exercises (no matter which vowel) I feel a pretty heavy numbness in my throat afterwards. And it restricts my range and dynamic a lot!
Why is this?
I want to believe it has to do with a faulty support and/or misunderstanding of tonal placement.
My usual routine looks like this:
Every morning I hum in a straw into a bottle of water. I only do this in my speaking register except for slides through the passagio.
If I hum in a higher register or headvoice the numbness appears.
I wake up the support by blowing through the straw without a waterbottle, and then I do some "HEY!s".
After this I sing along with my favorite tracks at the moment which also fit what I feel is a good exercise at this point in time.
After this morning routine my voice feels great! No numbness, hoarseness or any problems.
However, I tried starting the day with the 30 min singer course.
And my throat went completely numb, almost as if the vocal cords got stiff or a thin film of some kind cover them. The passagio went from smooth to a brick wall and my power went way down.
So I tried doing it in the afternoon instead.
Same thing.
It feels good when doing the exercises but it gradually gets more and more difficult getting a stable tone and ping.
What is going on!?
Am I pushing to hard? To little?
Could it be that I somehow manage to engage the throat even though it feels open?
Any ideas are welcome!
Best regards
Philip
So I'm a new student of the 3.0 course.
And my first message here!
This will be a fairly long message. I apologize for that in advance. But I feel a backstory would benefit my questions.
The issue is this:
When I do the LA-AAH exercises (no matter which vowel) I feel a pretty heavy numbness in my throat afterwards. And it restricts my range and dynamic a lot!
Why is this?
I want to believe it has to do with a faulty support and/or misunderstanding of tonal placement.
My usual routine looks like this:
Every morning I hum in a straw into a bottle of water. I only do this in my speaking register except for slides through the passagio.
If I hum in a higher register or headvoice the numbness appears.
I wake up the support by blowing through the straw without a waterbottle, and then I do some "HEY!s".
After this I sing along with my favorite tracks at the moment which also fit what I feel is a good exercise at this point in time.
After this morning routine my voice feels great! No numbness, hoarseness or any problems.
However, I tried starting the day with the 30 min singer course.
And my throat went completely numb, almost as if the vocal cords got stiff or a thin film of some kind cover them. The passagio went from smooth to a brick wall and my power went way down.
So I tried doing it in the afternoon instead.
Same thing.
It feels good when doing the exercises but it gradually gets more and more difficult getting a stable tone and ping.
What is going on!?
Am I pushing to hard? To little?
Could it be that I somehow manage to engage the throat even though it feels open?
Any ideas are welcome!
Best regards
Philip
Comments
-
We'd need to hear you sing a Lah-Ah arpeggio to make useful comments on this. From your description, alone, I don't read anything that would lead to numbness. And where do you feel this numbness, in the mouth, tongue, throat?
How long have you been on the course? -
I'll try to film me while singing it so you can see and hear.
I feel it around the vocal cords. Almost like they don't want to close and get very airy. -
I have been on the course on and off for about a year.
-
My issue for a long time has been to grasp how support actually works.
I do feel however that I understand and utilize it now. Although it is my main focus when training.
I do feel it warms up rather slowly and it takes some effort to get it going. -
Support and basic vowels is the topics I'm doing in the course.
And has been for a couple of months or so. But since I don't feel it is second nature yet, I have not moved on to other areas.
I am a firm believer in time makes excellence.
Ken's latest video
Categories
- All Categories
- 1 Terms of Use
- 4 NEW STUDENTS - FORUMS UPGRADES - Please Follow These Instructions~
- 3 Public FAQ / Help Section
- 101 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
- 61 Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method
- 3 Videos of Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Students
- 122 Welcome
- 1.9K INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- 213 Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
- 23 Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin
- 1.3K GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
- 565 Vocal Health and Wellness
- 248 SINGER/SONGWRITERS
- 184 Ken Tamplin's Corner
- 477 Off Topic
- 432 Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!
- 1.5K VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
- 104 SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
- 110 Recording Techniques and Gear
- 108 Musical Gear and Equipment!!!
- 236 The Singer's Lobby
- 107 About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
