Some non pharmaceutical treatments for sore throats, from a pharmacist!
Guys, I know Ken's shared with us lots of stuff on vocal health, but I got a couple of things to share too, that have helped me a great deal along the way.
I'm talking about the throat and NOT the vocal folds.
Sometimes we feel a pain or soreness in the back of the throat and in the region right below the nasal cavity.
A slight cold, an allergy, a slight infection or too much air conditioner in use, due to the summer heat (the case here in Greece right now!!)
We can either take non steroid anti inflammatories (they wreck the stomach and the blood system), antibiotics (can't overuse them), or use a couple of cool things I'm about to suggest.
1. Gargling with salt water. I know I'm always talking about salt water, but believe me, it's that important!!! One tea spoon of salt in a glass of water and garlge.
2. Gargling with chamomile herb tea. It's one of nature's best antiseptics and anti inflammatories. It doesn't have to be warm or hot. Room temperature's fine. It does the deed, believe me!!!
3. Gargling with propolis tincture. Get a bottle of propolis tincture. You just need 2 drops in a glass of water and you have one of nature's most powerful antiseptics and anti inflammatories!!! Propolis is a substance made from the bees in order to sterilize the bee hive. It's ultra concentrated and ultra strong!!! It's the best thing to use in my opinion. It may cost some, but the bottle will last at least 3-5 years...!!! Now, I know that tinctures are alcoholic solutions and that alcohol is bad for inflammations, but that's not the case here. The alcohol used is just about enough to act as a solvent, nothing more. It can't damage or dehydrate the area in such a tiny portion.
4. Use a propolis spray. Not as concentrated as the tincture, but still mighty powerful and easy to carry around.
5. Use a spray that contains Krameria Triandra tincture and/or potentilla tincture. Both great anti inflammatories and antiseptics, and most of the times the spray has spearmint oil, adding to the potency and giving great taste!!
I hope all this can help you!! I just needed to share, because I see everyone in here very communicative and very involved. I suffer from sore throats all the time, especially in the summertime, due to the air conditioner use ( I hate it but you can't do without it).
Of course, a good warmup with open throat techique is a big plus to all of this, helps enormously!!!
Be well and great singing to all!!