Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

You aint the first - Guns N Roses cover

Hello again!!!

I've made a new cover. Together with my brother this time. He plays the lead guitar for me.
I feel like this song fits my voice really good. I felt extremely comfortable singing it anyway.

And once again, I would appreciate feedback of any kind :-)
After all, it's the feedback I need to improve.
I accept both negative as positive feedback. Anything to improve myself.

Enjoy

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

I enjoyed both watching and listening to this video.  I appreciate the fist-drum especially.

Nice tone on the vocal, with the deep, down inside bottom and nice crispy highs in the verses.

I agree, this song is a good fit for your voice.

Bob

• AmotarasoAmotaraso Pro Posts: 18
    Thank you very much again Bob! I appreciate it! :D

I have a question for you.

I feel like I don't really need hous and hours of warm up, to sing purely in breast voice.
    It feels like 30 minutes is enough. Can this be true?

A followup question; it feels like it takes many hours of warmup, when I want to use a lot of glottis compression.
    Is this how it works? Also I'm still very new to glottis compression. I feel like it's the toughest section in my singing. Very tough.....

Thanks again Bob! :-) You are amazing on this forum ^^
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@Amotaraso,

Thanks for the compliments. 

You are correct.  About 30 minutes is good if you are going to do light to medium singing.  More is OK, but at least 30 minutes is normal to get the blood circulating and get the gunk cleared out of your vocal apparatus, with everything tested out from low to high.

And you are also correct that it takes more warmup and more precision and care to work with glottal compression.  If you are not doing glottal compression correctly, you could put a lot of wear on your voice.  For that reason you want to make sure your voice is functioning fully and correctly before leaning into it and creating compressed sounds and distortion.  An hour or more would be more like it for this kind of high energy vocal production.

Don't forget to maintain strict support any time you are using compression and glottal compression. Also make sure you go back and clean up your sound after singing with distortion.  Otherwise you can get stuck in distortion mode permanently.  Remember to always relax the abdomen in-between phrases when applying massive abdominal support.

Bob

• AmotarasoAmotaraso Pro Posts: 18
    I already learned 2 new things here ^^

"Always relax the abdomen in-between phrases when applying massive abdominal support."
    That's new to me. I think this will make a huge difference.

"Also make sure you go back and clean up your sound after singing with distortion.  Otherwise you can get stuck in distortion mode permanently."
    I never do this. But I will add this to my regular training. Do the 30 mins exercise when I'm done singing.

Thanks a lot Bob. You're a great help. Means a lot to me :-)

You are welcome, Amotaraso!

Just as it is VITALLY important to learn to ALWAYS support the voice, it is IMPERATIVE that you completely rest your abdominal support in-between the phrases.  If you don't relax in-between, you will NEVER be able to sustain the support through a full night's performance.  It takes massive strength to support, and demands rest breaks, just as your heart rests in-between each heartbeat.

Likewise, it is VITALLY important to learn to ALWAYS go back and clean up your sound after singing with distortion.  It is EXTREMELY hard to ever sing cleanly again if you get addicted to singing with distortion all the time.  Distortion sounds so good, you want to do it all the time, but that's not healthy.  You need to always go back and sing cleanly, in the next song, or at least after the gig or at the next day's exercises.  It's best to not sing entire shows in distortion, but to mix it up a bit with the intensities.  Start out easy. Add a little grit later.  After getting fully warmed up, then give it your best for a few tunes, but keep mixing it up. 

You don't want to lose the ability to sing a clean, soft tune when you want to.

Bob