Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

Warmup Before Recording

I have a studio date for this weekend--my first since joining the KTVA, and my first as the lead singer! My question is about my warmup prior to recording vocals. My current workout regimen consist of Mon - Volume 1, Wed - Volume 3, and Volume 2 on T/Th. I am wanting to balance good solid vocals versus the wear and tear of studio work. What would be the suggestion for me to use a s a warmup that day? 

Last night I did V2 and then ran through the five songs we are recording Friday and I was a little frazzled by the time I was finished--I got through it, but if I had to back up and do another take...I might have been in trouble. Should I lay off for a day or two before??

As you can see, I am full of questions. Thanks,
Curtis 

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Perhaps you should stay with Volume One or just do the first half of Volume 2.  That's based on your statement that you were a little frazzled after doing V2 and a few songs.

Volume Three would probably be a bit much for you at this point in your development, because you want to feel warmed-up, not frazzled.

Don't expend precious quality vocals on your warm-up.  But if you want your voice to really work its best, BY ALL MEANS, warm up!

I would suggest that you warm up as if you are aware that you've been slightly overdoing it recently, as evidenced by your frazzledness.

So just keep that in mind, and don't push your voice. 

Like your car's engine on a cold morning.  You shouldn't start it up and REV the daylights out of it.  You could throw a rod.  Let that baby warm up, and get nice and oiled-up!  Nice and smooth!  That's what you want.  Reach those notes with comfort.

Test your voice out with lip rolls and the tongue exercise.  Keep the tension to a minimum.  Let the notes come to you. You've been training for a while, so rely on your muscle memory and all the work you've put in so far. 

So do exercises that get you singing well, but aren't going to wear you out before the recorder starts running.  Save the best for the recording!

Good luck!

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Depending on the range of your tunes for recording, I would use volume 1 as a good warm up. If you are recording higher range songs work volume 2 until you feel your placement starting to shift higher. 20-25 mins should get you warmed up. Take a short break and then hit the vocal booth. Remember you probably won't knock it out if the park in the first take. I usually run through a song 2-3 times and then work line by line starting with whichever section of the song I'm feeling. I may even go back and do verses or lower sections after my voice is getting warmed up. Take your time and have some fun.
  • CurtisCurtis Pro Posts: 24
    edited January 2014
    I had a good day overall in the studio Sunday. I was battling a bit of a head cold, but I'm not making excuses. This is my first attempt at lead vocals and I'd love some feedback. I have been a KTVA member since last March. 

Let me hear from you,
    Curtis

WOW...I apparently am easily outsmarted by this forum space...LOL. Hopefully one of these shows...?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    edited January 2014

I see you got your link to show up. 

Sounds pretty good.  Good pitch.  Support is working.  You could sustain the vowels more and lessen the consonants.

If this is the recording you wanted warmup advice for, sounds like you made it through just fine without blowing yourself out!

Good job!

Bob

Thanks Bob. It was the toughest of the four we recorded. The Reverbnation link will take you to where you can hear the others. I found myself running out of air...probably nerves? That might be the shortened vowels, that or lack of experience.  

Thanks for the tip.
    edited January 2014
    highmtn said:

I see you got your link to show up. 

Sounds pretty good.  Good pitch.  Support is working.  You could sustain the vowels more and lessen the consonants.

If this is the recording you wanted warmup advice for, sounds like you made it through just fine without blowing yourself out!

Good job!

Bob

I went back and was reading over your suggestions. I may be a bit slow, but exactly how would I go about sustaining the vowels and lessening the consonants? Not sure I understand what that means. 

Thanks again Bob,
    Curtis 

You have the ProPack.  I believe Ken goes over this a bit in Volume 2 in lesson 6 "Introduction to Consonants".

Listen to what Ken has to say in that.

We sing on vowels.  Consonants are just noises we make, that actually interfere with us keeping our Open Throat going.  We want to keep the throat open as much as possible, and to emphasize vowels. 

The more you sing songs on vowels, the more musical it becomes.  You want to keep the Open Throat as your default home position and keep on that position as much as you can.  It will really improve your sound.

Bob