Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
Options

How to get stared as a professional

AltariqAltariq Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
Hi everyone, im Altariq Abraham im new to this vocal program and when I went to the CD about the record companies and getting songs copywrited I found that there is sooo much knowledge about the music industry and it is a bit overwhelming. I was wondering if anyone more advanced in that area could explain to me how to get started professionally once Ive mastered the voice. Im a singer and a writer of lyrics. Which are the highlighted areas that I should really see to rise as fast as possible.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    edited March 2014

This is a HUGE topic.  It's hard to come up with any kind of simple answer. 

Everybody has to start somewhere.

Are you gigging already?  If not, then find a venue and get your foot in the door.

Become the best singer that you possibly can.  Take your very best songs and record some serious tracks. 

Market your music on the internet and get a following.  A really BIG following. 

Get out there and gig.

Get paid.

Go from there.  See what happens.  Adapt and Overcome.

Bob

• Options
    AltariqAltariq Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
    Hi Bob thanks for the advice i'm actually not gigging yet I was hoping to finish the course first. After that though it gets cloudy as to how to start gigging. If I go on BMI.com and register as a songwriter will my songs be safe there? It says it doesn't copyright the songs it just makes a record of it. I haven't started recording or anything because im waiting to find the best way to insure my song are safe. Can you explain how to market my songs once they're ready?
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

How to market your songs is the fifty-billion dollar question everybody wants to know the answer to.

There are many ways to get your songs on the internet.

CD Baby is one.  Amazon is another. 

But just having songs on the internet does not guarantee sales.  That's where a really big following comes in handy.  Having CD's at your gigs, and going out there and letting people hear you is an option. 

If you're going to be a professional you have to consider having professionals book you.  Have a successful agent market you.  That's an option, if you don't have the connections and the drive to market yourself.  You also have to put yourself where the market is. 

As I said, this is a huge subject.

You can copyright your songs with the Library of Congress if you're in the U.S. 

BMI and ASCAP are basically collection agencies for artists.  They bill radio stations and other venues for royalty payments for playing your songs.  You pay them a percentage to collect your money for you.  They don't do the copyrighting.  They collect the money due on behalf of the copyright owner.

First things first.  Get your voice in killer shape.  Get a band.  Get out there and start playing and singing. 

Start today.  Keep going.

Bob