Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

A# - A over High C

At least, I think those are the notes Steven Tyler is hitting in Dream On.

So, I can hit those notes in scales. When I was working out a lot, I could do it effortlessly. I've never tried them in songs. I've been getting back into my work outs (read between the lines, been slacking off lately because I quit my 80's band) and while I can still hit the A, it's REALLY hard to do in the song. I mean, really hard.

I listen to Steven do it and I don't hear him thinning out in the phrases before, he just jumps right up there and grabs it. 20 years ago and 2 years ago...in fact the one two years ago, it was slightly sharp but even more clear than 20 years ago at wood stock. 

SO - I got to ask - his range must be like WAAAY higher than that? I'm curious for you high range beltinies think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHuUnxpf5lw 12' (looks like joe perry took the biggest dive!! :) yikes!)

Comments

• Options
    JoshuaJoshua Member, Enrolled Posts: 108
    Alright - I'll give that a go and see how I fare.

Agreed on Tyler - I meant no comparison to me in him, I only meant I'm stinking amazed and I don't hear in his voice what I can normally detect in others, which is their mechanics. I just think he's a phenom, and extraordinary talent - I heard the flat notes too...pretty much throughout until he hits the second verse.
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358

I think it's only Ab5 on the high head screams, but what's a half-step amongst friends?

: ^ )

He has a an enormous jaw and mouth.  Built for high notes!

Bob

• Options
    JoshuaJoshua Member, Enrolled Posts: 108
    Well - my response to this is to double down and get back to being able to do the vol 3 work out twice a day. I need to post some videos on what I've learned recently...I've got a major breakthough in pitch.
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358

Good for you, @Joshua

Let us know what has ben working for you to provide your breakthroughs and what had been holding you back.

Bob