Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Juggling KTVA and bel canto training at the same time

Hi as some of you know, I have been on the Ken Tamplin forums for a while now and I know very well what Ken Tamplin says about leaving all other training at the door. Unfortunately, my family, which sings as a choir at church, has taken on a vocal coach who teaches in the bel canto method. While he does share some things with Ken's teaching such as the vowel mods, he also encourages some things like singing in a dark, heavy, covered tone whereas Ken encourages students to sing light and bright ("it's the law!"). Fortunately, I can switch between singing Ken's way and my teacher's way (which is, essentially a slightly more covered tone than what Ken teaches.) However, he does like the way I mix my head and chest register and says I do it well on songs like "You Raise Me Up."

It is also interesting that while I think of my voice as a high baritone around the timbre of Ken's, probably due to my training with KTVA and my ability to mix my voice well and carry chest up high, my teacher says I'm a lyric tenor xD

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Yes, in general, the dark, oscuro sound of classical bel canto will not work so well with modern music.  As you said, the most obvious difference in KTVA and classic bel canto is the dark, covered voice of bel canto. 

If you know what you're doing, all you have to do is open up the face to go from dark bel canto to bright KTVA.  You still use the open throat, support, diaphragmatic breathing, etc.  in both methods.

Your teacher is right, the brighter mix sound will sound far better on that tune than a dark, covered version.

Bob