Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Airy tone

Hello everyone, I know that Ken has told us constantly to avoid an airy tone because it dries out the chords, but is there a way to do it in a healthy way?, I've been in level 2 for a very LONG time because I have reached the level that I wanted but I would like to add this to my singing because I love the vibe of an airy tone like Mariah Carey (maybe not so airy though)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@Singer93,

As long as you know the difference and that too much air will damage your cords, you can judiciously use some airy singing when it is appropriate for the song or the sound.  Too much air too often is a bad thing, so please be mindful of that.

Yes, some songs will require that kind of sound.  Be forewarned to not overuse a breathy tone.  Protect your voice.  Don't use breathy tones all the time.  When you get to Volume 3 Ken will show you how to cut back the air.  If you cut back the air, that will help you to spare your vocal cords somewhat.  That type of cutback is more for belting and loud singing.  If you're using this air for softer sounds, you still should be able to cut some of that back and perhaps lessen the effect of the air on your cords.

Bob

• Singer93Singer93 Pro Posts: 12
    Bob nevermind, I tried it today in a song and afterwards my voice felt VERY different, it was harder to sing high notes and my voice was airy throught out my range (non intentional, kind of a sore sound), it didn´t take too long to recover though, like an hour of no singing and no speaking....never doing that again