Home The Singer's Lobby

Critique of my singing

Hello, everyone! I have been following this forum and KTVA work for few months now and I have to say that I'm planning on joining you and buying the course because I really want to progress with my singing, although I have been doing it for 5-6 years now, because I believe that I still have a lot to learn. 

As far as I know by now, I am a baritone with somewhere little above 3 octaves of range, starting from C#2 and up to F#5, if I did that correctly (measuring it).

I grew up on rock, grunge and metal, so my vocal role models were and still are guys like Layne Staley, Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder, because I think I have a similar voice like them. 

Anyway, I would really appreciate it if some of you would listen to few of my songs and tell me how I fare with my singing and my voice's virtues and flaws. 

Bard's Song (Blind Guardian cover) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHqOgwGvH0Y

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Hi, @Chavez,

Thanks for saying hello after hanging around for a while.  It's nice to meet you.

I like your song Omega Love.  Your voice sounds good.  You have a nice character in your voice.  Did you collaborate over the internet with the other musician?  It's a cool tune and your voice sounds comfortable in that range and genre.  Black: The head voice at 0:33 seems to need to match up a little closer to the timbre of the chest voice, or if you want it to flip you could make that a little more obvious. 

You're doubletracking or digitally doubling the voice.  That does mask a bit of your actual voice.  It sounds good on the recordings, though.  

Bard's Song: Nice.  Good G#4.  Nice harmonies, and yes, doubling.

Got Me Wrong: Recording of the voice is a little muffly compared to the other tunes.  The harmonies at the end of the song sound a bit discordant.

You are doing well with your voice for no training.  Ken's course will bring out more tone, power, control,  and support which will be a step up for your vocals.  It will also help you to develop resilience against hoarseness and help you to keep singing for years to come.

All the Best!

Bob

• ChavezChavez Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Bob, appreciate it! 

Yeah, I always sing the main vocals two times, never copy them, learned to do it few years back and got used to do it along with the harmonies, and I have a 40$ microphone, so I tried to cover up that a bit with that. When I get better mic, I'll look to avoid that probably. 

Regarding Omega Love, yeah, it's an online collaboration, I did many songs like that due to the lack of people to work with in my vicinity, unfortunately. I made a full album like that, actually, and plan on doing one more, at least.

Thank you once again for your advice, I'll keep them in mind definitely! 

And I hope I'll soon buy the course because I really want to improve all of this.

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Good luck!  Thanks for posting your songs, @Chavez

All the best!

Bob