Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

Why is the Pavarotti video down?

njaremkonjaremko Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
Hi, this is a two part question:

First: Can Ken's method be used to sing opera with decent technique? (I have a sneaking suspicion the answer is no)

Second: Why did you remove the Pavarotti video you did a while back? I know it wasn't the best, but I don't remember it being that bad....

Comments

• ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    1. Yeah, no basically.

2. To be honest Ken's technique is just pretty far from pure classic Bel Canto, so it was never gonna work out especially since the Opera "community" is very very conservative in terms of what's "right/wrong", as opposed to modern music which has more elastic criteria (which is clearly preferrable imo). 
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

It was Ken's version on Nessun Dorma, not really a "How to sing like Pavarotti."  Lots of artists have performed Nessun Dorma.  Too many haters criticized miniscule things about Ken's rendition, like mispronunciation of some of the Italian words.  The purist critics went nuts.  Ken will re-record it later and address some of the minor flaws that were so highly criticized.

You can use Ken's methods to improve an operatic voice, but any opera purist would want the dark and covered sound that is used to make it sound like opera.  Can an opera singer benefit and grow their voice and range by using KTVA techniques?  You Bet!  But in the end, if you want the classical opera sound, you go back to using covered sounds and darker tone.  The voice itself will be stronger and the range increased if KTVA methods are employed.

Bob

• olskoololskool Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 68
    would have loved to have seen this...
    just disable the comments on youtube.
  • vmalheirosvmalheiros Pro Posts: 105
    highmtn said:

It was Ken's version on Nessun Dorma, not really a "How to sing like Pavarotti."  Lots of artists have performed Nessun Dorma.  Too many haters criticized miniscule things about Ken's rendition, like mispronunciation of some of the Italian words.  The purist critics went nuts.  Ken will re-record it later and address some of the minor flaws that were so highly criticized.

You can use Ken's methods to improve an operatic voice, but any opera purist would want the dark and covered sound that is used to make it sound like opera.  Can an opera singer benefit and grow their voice and range by using KTVA techniques?  You Bet!  But in the end, if you want the classical opera sound, you go back to using covered sounds and darker tone.  The voice itself will be stronger and the range increased if KTVA methods are employed.

Bob

I really want to see his version on Nessun Dorma! Hope he puts that back again.