Home Vocal Health and Wellness

loss of confidence

Hey All!

I seem to have ran into some trouble after using false fold distortion.

I have been, for the last month or two, working with distortion and what I believe to be false fold( I know this isn't the Ken tamplin way, but I am just experimenting with different sounds and listening to other artists). Whilst doing this I have pushed my voice hard and worked it so much, but I know when to stop. Whilst I felt no pain, soreness or hoarseness, there was a little agitation which is to be expected from using distortion. My distortion has always been supported and I follow correct technique, and I felt that my voice had gotten stronger for it as the muscles were working hard and strengthening, as I had managed to hit a C5 in my full chest/belt voice, which is something I have never managed to do without sliding to that note. So my confidence had went up, but now its right back down.

I have, for the past two weeks, been struggling to sing in my chest/belt range(from C5 to about two or three notes under it), and I am worried about this. I have vocal fry that happens on my upper chest range and even anchoring or supporting isn't helping me hit the notes I am able to in good health. I feel weak and tired whilst my head voice is still strong, and I have even stopped singing, but this has been going on for two weeks now even though I have been taking ibuprofen to stop any swelling that might be there. I feel absolutely fine in my throat, no pain, soreness or tension, but when I come to sing there is tightness. One way I can put it is that it feels like my voice is bridging way to early than I where I normally bridge. I am sorry to bother you with this, but I have lost my confidence in singing and I always  take my voice seriously and follow good technique, so when I have a vocal issue I panic.  Here are some things about my voice that I am worried for:

• Hoarseness
  • inability to sing quietly(my voice breaks on notes or just air comes out, resulting in me pushing harder to get the note out but trying to sing quietly)
  • Decreased range( not hitting some notes as easy)
  • Decreased colour and vibrancy of tone (sometimes)
  • Vocal fatigue
  • Tightness
Thanks for reading. hope to hear from some one soon. :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited January 2015

We can't really evaluate from a verbal description.  You should submit a video of your issues to begin with.

We make it clear that false vocal fold distortion is a bad idea.  Students sometimes say that so-and-so does it and it's not hurting them...

How about a video that explains what you've been up to and demonstrates the issues you are having.  Perhaps that will help to lead to a solution.

I hope you get your voice back in shape soon.

Bob  

• JamieHJamieH Pro Posts: 71
    edited January 2015
    @highmtn

Thanks for the reply. I know that you all make it clear that false fold is a bad idea, but there are plenty that do it and have amazing voices and techniques. One of my greatest inspirations uses a lot of false fold and I can imitate his sound up to a certain range, so I know its false fold. Forgive me if I am coming across as being rude, cheeky or ungrateful toward you or anyone, I am just trying to explain myself.My inspiration is actually singing in the Tran  Siberian Orchestra along side Gabriella, he is called Nathan James. Maybe you could check him out and see what technique he uses for his distortion?

As for demonstrations, what is it you would like to hear? Maybe I can do a recording of a song I could sing easily and show you how I find it hard now? Or would you like exercises? Actually, doing a small video of what I have been doing may be a good Idea, thanks for that.

Thanks
  • JamieHJamieH Pro Posts: 71
    @highmtn

I have managed to understand my vocal issue.

I took a vocal lesson/consultation with my choir Master who is a qualified vocal coach and is an amazing singer. He has not noticed anything wrong in my exercises or any issues with the sound of my voice, and put it down to maybe an underlying infection that has not manifested any signs of this. He also pointed out that I need to work a lot on support, which is one of the reasons why I am not hitting notes in my belt range, as I was taking my ability to hit the notes without correct support for granted. I was told I need to work on cord closure, widening my vocal tract ( he used the term vocal retraction for this, which I don't really understand, he said its like trying to widen my neck). Whilst I am glad he pointed all this out, I felt quite down about it because I thought I had good cord closure and good support, but when we did a lot of support work in his lesson I was shocked at the change in my voice.

What can I do to work on these things the Ken Tamplin way? Will I work through the DVD as normal or should I fix these things first then go back to normal workouts?

Thanks
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@JaimeH,

You should be working the DVD's as directed.  That does not include using false vocal fold distortion.

Your KTVA lessons include using cord closure (It's the LAH!! AH!!!)  and support. 

You should not be doing the exercises without good cord closure and good support.

Keep doing your daily workouts as Ken explains them.

You should be fine.

All the Best!

Bob

• JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    edited July 2015
    @JamieH
    Hello, working on distorsion on my own has been a bit risky for me. In my opinion this skill should be learned under the supervision of Ken as it requires that you understand perfectly how to do it safely before training.

As Ken says, it's better not to rush into learning distorsion before our voice has matured.

As far as I am concerned, I had to stop singing for a week due to not doing glotal compression and distorsion properly, my voice got tired.

The best would be to have a lesson with Ken before trying anything.
    @JamieH,

In re-reading this thread I noticed something that I previously overlooked. 

Your choirmaster/vocal coach actually, perhaps without realizing it, put himself in agreement with Ken by his statement that you need to work on "Vocal Retraction" which you said you did not understand.

What he's talking about retracting is the False Vocal Folds in order to open up the throat.  

Some vocal methods teach retraction of the false vocal folds as Open Throat 101.  You retract the false vocal folds in order to open up the vocal tract.  You, on the other hand, have been insisting that there is no problem with using false vocal fold distortion, which is irritating to the false vocal folds and will naturally cause them to swell and impose themselves into the vocal tract.  Just because So-and-so hasn't lost their voice YET doesn't mean that you won't encounter any issues by going down that path. 

Ken simplifies it to the "It's the Lah!!! AHH!!" sound so you can just imitate the sound and by way of that, retract your FVF's like you do when the doctor looks down your throat.  

I have to warn you, that despite your insistence that nothing can go wrong with FVF distortion, your own voice is telling you something else.  

I hope that by now your voice has recovered from the problems you were having.  If not, and if you are still trying FVF distortion, please put that to rest. It's risky, and it's not supported by KTVA because of the hazards involved.

All the Best!

Bob