Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

How does one maintain great and steady vocals while dancing?

How does Michael Jackson do it and still able to sing great while dancing at the same time? What techniques are used for practice?

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    edited February 2015

@jinny

Of course you've heard the recordings of Britney Spear's actual voice while performing her act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2uqcQDmy9w

Lip-syncing is actually a common practice in many stage performances, due to the difficulty in managing breath pulsation while leaping about.  That leads to questions about the artists' actual ability to sing at the quality level of the recording being played during the performance.  In these cases, you are basically just watching a portrayal of the song being sung as the dance number takes place.  The artist may be holding a microphone that is not connected at all to the sound system at the performance.  The audience might as well be listening to the artist on a CD or mp3, but they happen to be paying $75 to see the star "live".   

I don't know of any such recordings of Michael Jackson lip-syncing his performances.

It's nearly impossible to jump and land, run around, and dance like Michael Jackson did during his performances without at least some bumpy sounds from your body jostling around.  Your breath pulsates when your body jostles.

It may be that Michael trained very hard at both singing and dancing simultaneously and was able to actually pull that off.  He did start out singing AND dancing at the same time at a very early age. 

Perhaps others here know more background on how MJ managed to NOT lip-sync while performing the way he did, if that is the case. 

Just to see how nearly impossible it is to do that, just try to hold a steady note and jump around, run around, and dance like crazy.  I don't know how he did it.

Bob

• Options
    jinnyjinny Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, there will always be parts where you will hear bumpy sounds. You can hear it here at 1:27 of video.  Some singers or groups will lip sync less than often though like this group here.

• Options
    rcrosierrcrosier Pro Posts: 275
    Fun song!  Wish I understood more of it...  LOL
  • Options
    Fun song!  Wish I understood more of it...  LOL
    here you go..

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Hahaha... Thanks!  When I was in my 20's, I would have done that, had I been singing then... Disco era, you know... I was busy dancing.  :)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    rcrosier said:

Hahaha... Thanks!  When I was in my 20's, I would have done that, had I been singing then... Disco era, you know... I was busy dancing.  :)

Disco was awesome! ...did you mean 70s disco or  80s Euro italo disco song 

or this:

• Options
    70's & early 80's... I was a DJ at a local club that was one of the hottest places around, lines out the door often, around 79 to 82.  Actually won a Dance contest and taught the Latin Hustle back then!  Still have an Elvis trophy from it!  Hahaha...

A few of the best from then were:

Michael Jackson - Don't Stop Til You Get Enough (the Ladies would all scream when this started...)

Rick James - Give it to me Baby & Super Freak

Chic - Good Times (Saw them live near Albany, NY)

Gap Band - Burn Rubber on Me

(Some of the above, you may have never heard...)

Kook & The Gang, Donna Summer, More Michael Jackson, Gloria Gaynor, Dan Hartman, Earth Wind & Fire, I have literally hundreds of them, still have some of the original 33" single LP's that we used with the BPM marked on them by hand...  LOL