Home Off Topic
Options

The Crud

highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
edited March 2012 in Off Topic

I don't know if anyone else has been experiencing this lately, but I was ill over a month ago with some crud that attacked my singing and speaking voice and replaced it with coughing, sore throat/sinuses and fever... It took about three weeks to get over. I was in a store the other day and overheard the folks at the counter talking about the same illness and one of them said "Yeah, I had it too. Takes about three months to get over".  This thing had a large effect on attendance as it travelled throughout the building where I work.

I've felt fine for about five weeks now, but still have this gunk tickling my vocal cords, that makes me clear my throat and cough to try to get it out. I hear people where I work and it's obvious that they are being irritated by the same thing. I'm on the West Coast of the USA. Is this thing going around the rest of the country? Is it going around the world where you're not currently experiencing Winter? How about the Southern Hemisphere? Is it in the Eastern Hemisphere?  Has anybody had it and been completely past the lingering tickle below the glottis? 

Bob

Best Answer

• Options
    mivisonmivison Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 191
    Answer ✓
    i had a sinus infection for about a month. that's also when i started having tinnitus symptoms. the infection left but the tinnitus hung on. that's when i started to worry! it too has gone. GOOD RIDDENS!

Answers

• Options
    KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    Not here in Malaysia! Though I'm very prone to sinus infections... having one right now I think ... x_X"
  • Options
    dingodingo Enrolled Posts: 119
    No, I normally don't get colds. Someone at my work has been sick so I make sure to wash my hands and never touch my face and don't use the community washing items in the work kitchen.

Since I have been doing this, I seldom get sick.

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358

Two week after my post, the tickle on my cords has finally totally gone away for about a week.  I still hear people clearing their voices all around me in my town.  They haven't quite gotten over this stuff.

dingo, yes, the frequent handwashing is a good practice.   

• Options
    LyteLyte Member Posts: 2
    Next time you feel a cold or flu coming on, immediately do the garlic cure:  take 1 clove of peeled garlic, slice it the long way into 3 or 4 pieces (the size/shape of a vitamin pill), and swallow them with water without chewing, just like a pill.  Repeat a couple times throughout the day or night.
    Garlic is a natural antibiotic, but is only really effective when it's raw.  Swallowing it without chewing prevents the taste and the bad breath.
    I also take LARGE quantities of Vitamin C: 5-6 grams (yes, that's 10-12 of the 500mg tablets) - to "bowel tolerance" - that means, if it doesn't give you diarrhea, it's still being used by your body.  When taking Vitamin C, most people don't take enough to really work.
    Lytingale.net
  • Options

Hey, Lyte!

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've heard of taking garlic pills before, but that's the first time I've heard of taking a clove of garlic whole as if it were a pill.

I eat tons of chewable vitamin C also, when I'm under attack.  I always have a supply on the bandstand just in case.  I'm not prescribing this for anyone else.  I'm just sayin'...

I don't think anyone here would disagree with the suggestion to pump plenty of good old room-temperature H2O.  The body needs it, and it helps to flush the bad guys out of your system. 

Fortunately, the lingering Crud has left my body, so I'll keep your suggestions in mind next time I'm inhabited by alien microbes!

Thanks.

Bob