Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Hello! I am a little worried

To be quick to the point,
As I was doing scales after a year break then a lesson with Ken,
I started the exercises again with corrections of my bad habits.

I noticed when I get to the "bridge" in my voice. my voice becomes VERY airy and I can't get good chord closure when im CROSSING UNLESS I stay in my upper mid chest voice and push my chest voice up a little more.
Is this normal or is my voice damaged?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358

It's normal if you have stretched the range of your chest voice higher than it used to be, which is normally a good thing.  So don't get airy, and stay in chest voice to the higher range you can now reach and cross over to head voice at a higher note.

I bridge much higher than I used to.  After you get stabilized from your long break, should be able to bridge where you want to, but higher is a good thing.  It means you have more chest voice to work with now.

Bob 

• Options
    dk_dk_ Member Posts: 32
    is it normal for some sort of tension around the palate area when trying to reach with chest voice?
    It is still airy, maybe I should do the scales really really really softly around that area?

Otherwise, it's either really airy or some sort of tension when i reach.
    If I try to focus on chord closure around that area, I feel like my vowel modification and my throat close.

Maybe it is like you said, my vocal chords aren't trained enough yet for a good chord closure on the bridge?

Thanks for the support
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    edited March 2015

As you are stretching the chest voice you will reach a point where you can't keep your throat relaxed and open as you try to go higher.  That's just part of the process of stretching.  I means we can't just keep on going up until our voice catches up, which may be a while.  Focus on trying to relax the whole back of the throat area.  That whole area, including the palate, can feel tense when you don't know how to relax it.

I recommend focusing on support any time you are feeling a lot of tension. You can't benefit from tension in the throat, but you can relieve tension in the throat by instead tensing the support muscles.  Those are the only muscles that are OK to put tension in, so have at it.  Transfer your tension from your chest, neck, and throat down to your abdominal muscles and to pressing downward on the diaphragm.  That's OK and will help you in many ways.

If all we had to do was stretch and "Boom!" the voice could hit all the notes, then everybody would instantly have a six-octave range.  Instead, we take the voice as high as we can and stop when we run out of notes that we can clearly hit.  We are waiting for our voice to grow.  By stretching it, we are telling it we want more range, and it will gradually grow in that direction, but not immediately.

It's probably a good idea to do the scales lightly in the area that does not yet have much strength.  Then, as you are able, begin to lean into those notes a little more, and they will begin to grow. Don't be in too much of a hurry.  Growth takes time, and trying to rush it can create setbacks.

Work on trying to gently get a little more cord closure and throat relaxation in the bridge.

Give that a try and see if working that way helps you to build your bridge to a more consistent sound.

Bob 

• Options
    dk_dk_ Member Posts: 32
    Hi, Just a little update.
    I think I am getting a little hang of it.
    I know Ken says to do the work outs lightly but lightly means softly?
    I noticed I reach the notes in the scale if I kind push like you advised. but It is significantly louder in volume.
    I can't say its belting because it is not THAT Loud but somewhere in the middle. As if I am trying to talk to someone across the room.

The one problem I get from that is, it is ALOT harder to cross smoothly now. It feels like I crack alot more as opposed to when I
    did it the other way where I can cross almost all the time without a crack.
    Maybe I was concentrating too much on crossing where I would cross too early to make it smooth before as opposed to now
    where I would consciously try to stay in my chest voice as far as I can. It felt as if before I crossed pretty early but was #1 airy and #2 felt as if I brought down my head voice to make crossing smoother.
    So is it normal that I am staying in my chest longer and having the bridge ALOT harder to cross to develop my chest?

ANOTHER important thing to note is that, before I even started Ken tamplins workouts, I somehow figured out how to reach pretty high with my chest voice (not in a good tone of course; more of a squeaky annoying tone). Maybe that helped me out?
    I still have the flexing palate problem but I have no idea how to avoid it when I do stretch chest.

Last side topic: 
    How does he do this? and does Ken cover this kind of distortion on other CD's? (i only have disk 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV7_WlMEXtg (3:07; the head voice distortion)

Thanks!

• Options

@dk_

Yes, when Ken says to do the workouts lightly, that means at a lower volume, or "softly".

If you are using too much air pressure, your voice may break at the passagio.  You have to train yourself to connect at lighter volumes and very gradually add a little more volume until you train your voice to smoothly connect at higher notes and higher air pressures (volume).

Your bridge should eventually get easier to connect as you continue to train as described above.

Both of the vocalists in the videos are using head voice in their highest notes.  At times they are in a mix.  At other times they are in extended chest voice. 

These guys are pretty good.

Bob