Home Off Topic
Options

How to speak to favour open throat technique.

Hello.

I'm about to move onto volume 2. Just want to make sure I'm doing everything in vol 1 right before moving on. I do not want to send all my questions at once so, here is one that's been on my mind for a while:
 Some of the local coaches I studied with in Bs As, Argentina before KTVA, told me I should speak in the same way I sing to favour my training because we use the same instrument to do both things, and if I speak 14hours a day in one way and then I sing in a different way, hte training and improvement gets slow. So, they told me to: to speak slowly and making pauses, not to speak without enough air, to speak a note or so above the note I always speak in, to use the same resonance I use for singing. 
My question is: Besides these aspects I already know and put into practice, what can I add to speak in the same way I sing with open throat technique and not sound akward when speaking? I mean akward because I picture myself speaking with a very open mouth and my tongue in a concave position but I imagine maybe you coaches speak in a particular way to favour the technique which is not akward.

Thank you. so much.

Sebastian.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

@sebastiancelesner,

I asked Ken about this one.  Here is what he had so say:

It's really more about support (and relaxation in the throat) we use when we speak.  You are not going to speak like you sing.  Singing has at least 3 - 5 times the intensity and cordal vibrating resonance than when we speak.  So unless you plan on walking around talking like Michael Jackson with support, these theories you and any previous coaches you might have had are not tenable.  

All the Best.

Bob

• Options
    mkeymontmkeymont Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 43
    I think there's something to this, at least if you are a shy, introverted person who doesn't really enjoy speaking to people. I'm that, and I typically speak in a low, husky almost muffled voice. I noticed it a lot while reviewing a video of a show I did. All of my in between song banter was in that voice and it sounds awful over the PA. I think that opening up your voice to a brighter, slightly higher pitch throughout the day in speech is a good thing for folks like myself.

I also noticed this: when that muffled aspect of my voice creeps into my singing, pitch goes out the window. I notice that if I start a note off without enough support and cord closure, but then "lean into" the note, the pitch is off in the beginning during that lower, muffled sound that I get without support, just like speech.

I don't change everything about speech, but I try to brighten it up throughout the day to get used to using a bright, timbal sound during singing.
  • Options

Hello.

I'm about to move onto volume 2. Just want to make sure I'm doing everything in vol 1 right before moving on. I do not want to send all my questions at once so, here is one that's been on my mind for a while:
     Some of the local coaches I studied with in Bs As, Argentina before KTVA, told me I should speak in the same way I sing to favour my training because we use the same instrument to do both things, and if I speak 14hours a day in one way and then I sing in a different way, hte training and improvement gets slow. So, they told me to: to speak slowly and making pauses, not to speak without enough air, to speak a note or so above the note I always speak in, to use the same resonance I use for singing. 
    My question is: Besides these aspects I already know and put into practice, what can I add to speak in the same way I sing with open throat technique and not sound akward when speaking? I mean akward because I picture myself speaking with a very open mouth and my tongue in a concave position but I imagine maybe you coaches speak in a particular way to favour the technique which is not akward.

Thank you. so much.

Sebastian.
    Sebastian, to "speak with technique," actually helps you to speak more slowly and a little higher.
    But you also think that is a little more streamlined way of speaking.
    That is technically speaking makes you think more about what you say, have a "theory of your life" perspective.
    In my experience, these two issues are inseparable.So my view is there are days when my voice much care and dosed my most air using a lot of compression, that is, usually I talk a lot holding my breath and continued, but there are also days of relaxation give me.
    But over time talking retaining the air will become very, very simple and mechanical, or think him again.

Sebastian, para "hablar con técnica", efectivamente te ayudará el hablar más despacio y un poco más alto. Pero también considera que se trata de una forma un poco más racionalizada de hablar.Es decir hablar con técnica te hace pensar mas en lo que dices, tener una perspectiva mas "teórica de la situación".
    En mi experiencia ambas cosas son inseparables.Por tanto, mi perspectiva es hay días en que cuido muchísimo mi voz la mayoria y dosifico mi aire aplicando muchísima compresión, vale decir, generalmente hablo mucho reteniendo mi aire y continuo, pero tambien hay días que me los doy de relajo.
    Sin embargo con el tiempo hablar reteniendo el aire se volverá algo muy, muy sencillo y mecanico, ni lo volverás a pensar.