Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Recorded some harsh vocal songs/Sing better now?

DozerDozer Member Posts: 5
edited October 2015 in Vocal Health and Wellness
First off, not the best singer. I am mainly a rap vocalist. Mostly sing with other artist while the song plays.
I recently recorded a song using a harsh vocal style. I call it speech level yelling hype rapping...
sounds like I am being loud, but
I am really doing it in at a low decibel level.
Now, for some reason, my voice has changed even when I talk.
If feels like I have good chord closure. Hard to explain. There is more of the vibration like a radio talk person lol.
Here is an example of a song...listen to the rap part. I am not trying to promote my music,...and why
would I do that here? Just in case if you believe that is my motive. WARNING: couple of bad words..no biggie.

This is the song I recently recorded and noticed the change.
The song is for my youtube gaming channel...so the subject is Call of Duty.

So, what is the reason for the change in my singing vocals?
The change is for the better.
Even my speaking voice is more awesome sounding.
No, don't plan on going out and slaughtering my vocals using
speech level yelling to change my voice...just something I noticed.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, Dozer.

The sound you are using for distortion is from engaging your false vocal folds. It's kind of the "Louis Armstrong" sound. It's not really a healthy way to distort the voice. If you keep using that sound, your speaking voice, as well as your singing voice may continue to distort more and more. It can get to the point that you won't be able to speak or sing except in that voice, and that's not such a good thing.

You are training your voice to sound that way, and you may not be able to untrain it. You also may cause swelling in the actual vocal cords. That may interfere with your voice being able to speak or sing normally.

There are many wrong ways and unsafe ways to distort the voice. The longer you use methods like that, the more likely you are to have permanent damage to your voice. I hope you decide that you want to protect your voice.

Anyway, that's what I hear in your demos. Nice to hear from you.

All the Best!

Bob
  • DozerDozer Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, its not a thing I do often...just did it for those songs. Thanks for the heads up and tips.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You're welcome, friend.

Bob