Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Studio Recording

I'm going into the studio in about a month to record a few originals. Does anyone with experience have any suggestions about things that might surprise me? It is a medium-sized studio. I really don't know much about it. I'll have a producer there who will own the music I record and basically tells me exactly what he wants.

How much music/voice knowledge do studio engineers usually have?

Vocal-wise, should one practice extra the week before recording or less?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I haven't known any engineers who had actual vocal skills knowledge. Most of them have recorded hundreds of vocalists, so they know the difference in a fresh voice and a worn-out voice. Re-doing vocals for a producer can wear the freshness off of your voice, unless you are in really good shape.

It's best to get right to the point of a song and try to get a "keeper" take before your voice gets worn. If you have been doing KTVA long enough, your voice may just get more and more "warmed up" instead of Worn Down. That kind of stamina takes a long time to achieve, but I've been feeling that more and more the past few months.

That takes me to your question about practicing extra prior to the recording. If you are feeling like you only get stronger the more you sing, then yes, keep building on that. On the other hand, if your voice is still at the point where it sounds better when you have taken a break for a week or so, then you would be better off keeping the practice on a lighter level. You may be needing to try to get the magic happening early, without having to keep re-trying to do better. If you keep hammering away at a song, you can beat the life out of the song and out of your voice. In cases like that, the fresher, the better.

Producers are looking for magic. They would rather have a lively-sounding first or second take that isn't perfect, than a technically perfect recording of an otherwise tired voice.

You've been working the program for a while. You may be best served by simply maintaining your normal vocal workload that you have been doing of late, and possibly being careful to keep your voice fresh, rather than increasing its workload just before going in to record.

Good Luck.

Bob