Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello from the US. Hoping to improve/repair my voice

Hello all.

The only video I have of me singing for fun without focusing on technique much is on my self-help/vlog channel here...it's a cover of Wild thing in blues, and it wasn't for anything particular:

Click here: Wild Thing Cover

I cannot explain how excited I am to finally be a part of the KTVA. I was waiting until I had the money to purchase the entire "How to Sing Better than anyone else" course, and with Christmas/Birthday season happening at once, the numbers added up perfectly! So here I am.

I have two ultimate goals: To improve my voice (range, endurance, and tone), and to slowly repair any possible damage over the next year, which could require a long period of rest.

On and off for the last 5 years I have been singing, and I am positive I've been doing it wrong, as much as I love to do it. My voice has a permanent tendency to rasp, and I cannot hum very soft notes without there being cracks/gaps in the sound. In addition, if I try to hum the "ah" vowel sound without squeezing my vocal cords together more and more, there is a very daunting buzzing sound, akin Cobain's rasp on steroids. Part of this could be bad technique, of course, but the more I become aware of my voice, the more I can almost sense there are little "artifacts" in my vocal folds that are causing issues. Any who, I don't have the money to get a camera shoved down my throat so for now I'm going to lay low and start with the basics.

Three months ago I joined a rock band, and our first big show is in march, so I am hoping that by then a lot of things can be improved. I could very well find out through all of your input and this course that the best next step is complete rest for a few months.

Anyways, happy singing!

Comments

• cristianmrcristianmr Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    Welcome @jdrubnitz !

That cover was very crazy ! You really put much energy on it !

You have a great target to accomplish, I'll be waiting to see what happens then :D

Good singing !

Cristian :)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    jrubnitz,

The first step is to begin learning the correct ways to use your voice and to substitute those for the makeshift ways that may be causing problems. Getting Ken's course is a real way to give youself a basis to build from. The exercsises, done correctly, will train your voice. It's a bit of a jump to give up our old ways that we've relied upon in the past, but in the long run, you will be very glad you chose this course.

Nice to know you.

Welcome.

Bob
  • jake_danieljake_daniel Pro Posts: 43

Welcome @jdrubnitz !

That cover was very crazy ! You really put much energy on it !

You have a great target to accomplish, I'll be waiting to see what happens then :D

Good singing !

Cristian :)

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to all this.
    highmtn said:

jrubnitz,

The first step is to begin learning the correct ways to use your voice and to substitute those for the makeshift ways that may be causing problems. Getting Ken's course is a real way to give youself a basis to build from. The exercsises, done correctly, will train your voice. It's a bit of a jump to give up our old ways that we've relied upon in the past, but in the long run, you will be very glad you chose this course.

Nice to know you.

Welcome.

Bob

The thing I am most excited about is finding out exactly what is causing problems, or could potentially cause problems if I continue to stick with the habits I have at this. Thanks for the welcome!