Home Off Topic
Options

Vocal Range

natashasarnatashasar Pro Posts: 10
edited January 2016 in Off Topic
Hi, so I started watching videos on YouTube to find my vocal range. I commented asking what I'd be considered as (eg: contralto, alto, mezzo-soprano, etc) and people commented in disbelif, one said I was mistaken, another thought me to be lying, and someone asked me to prove it. I just wanted to know, is it an unusual pitch for a 14-year-old girl? I'm just so curious now! The highest note I can hit right now is a B5 but I'm still on the first volume(about to move to the second). Could someone please tell me? it might be a stupid question but I seriously wanna knooooow.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    @natashar,

E2 is pretty low for most female voices and even some males. B5 is getting up there, but not as unusual for a female. Some guys can get up to B5, but that normally will be in head voice, and not their best note.

Most vocalists are striving to increase their range, whether to go higher, lower, or both.

There is nothing to worry about if your range is different from other people's. Having an extensive range can be a good thing. Mostly, you want to have the best quality of notes in the main range that you intend to be singing in. So you don't HAVE TO have an extensive range, but the more good quality range, usable range, notes that you can sing WELL... That's good.

Doing good vocal exercises (properly) will only improve your voice and build your range even more, as long as you do so safely and carefully.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Options
    Hi @highmtn ,

Thank for replying!

I also have another question, while practicing, do I do both the versions of the workout(the dudes and the divas) because the divas workout doesn't go low enough for me while the dudes is high but not that high.

Should I do both of them for an hour combined, or an hour separately for each?
    What do you think will be fine?
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    @natashasar,

It's better to practice more than to practice less, if you have the time and as long as your voice isn't getting tired. You can practice as much as you want, as long as your voice isn't feeling worn out.

If your voice feels tired, then give it the rest it needs. If it is staying fresh, then you are doing fine.

It's fine to do both Dude and Diva versions of the scales. Many guys do Divas to stretch their voices up. Many girls do portions of the Dudes scales because their voices are not necessarily soprano range. It's fine for Divas to do Dude scales, if they are comfortable for their voices. Because we all have different range capabilities and comfort zones, you can go as low as is comfortable and as high as comfortable for you. So you could do portions of Dude and portions of Divas that best suit your own voice, and that would be fine. You could go just as far as is a comfortable stretch for you in either the low or the high direction, or both. You just don't want to strain. Stretching is good, but straining is not.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Options
    Thank @highmtn !

Your comments are so helpful!