Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Hello from Florida!! :)

ladyninja93ladyninja93 Enrolled Posts: 9
edited January 2016 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
My name is Shamara Lane, and I am a new KTVA member. I'm excited to be a part of this forum and to learn from so many talented and committed singers. There's nothing like being surrounded by people who not only challenge your singing technique, but also challenge your limited vision of yourself as a singer and push you to discover vocal ability that you didn't even know you had. I don't even know you guys yet, but I'm already getting good vibes...!

A little bit about my singing journey: I have been undergoing vocal training for about 5 years now. I've trained with local voice teachers in my area; I traveled to Nashville and trained with and a team of SLS voice coaches in 2013 for 3 months and studied their program for a couple years. After feeling frustrated with my progress and vocal technique, I decided to purchase Ken Tamplin's How To Sing Better Than Anyone Else Vol. 1 & 2. When first starting the program, I approached it with SLS technique as that was what I embedded into my voice. However, after watching the DVDs and voice lessons posted on YouTube, I have been doing my best to leave SLS technique at the door and take a fresh approach with Ken's method.

As for my singing, I naturally have a soft voice, but am unsure of how to use it to the fullest... unsure of how to use it, period. When I sang before taking any lessons, I often imitated certain singers on the radio, yelling for high notes and singing as if I were talking the melody (I guess this is why I was so attracted to SLS in the first place.) I still struggle with trying to draw the line between talking and singing, and finding what is my true singing voice so that I can build it. But that's why I'm here, to learn from and grow with you guys! I am also looking into lessons with Ken so I can make sure I am doing Volume 1 correctly and getting the most out of the program.

When it comes to musical styles, I enjoy listening to different genres and discovering new sounds and artists. A few artists that I enjoy listening to are: Michael and Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, Toni Braxton, Tamar Braxton, Jhene Aiko, and Jussie Smollett (Jamal Lyon from Empire). Personally, I would like to learn how to sing like Janet Jackson. Her singing ability is often debated; however, I admire how well she uses her soft voice and switches from Pop to R&B to Dance to Rock effortlessly. She can be sweet and sensual on songs such as That's the Way Love Goes, Discipline, and All Nite, and attack songs such as Black Cat, Scream, and Trust a Try with edge and aggressiveness. My goal is to learn how to become versatile with my voice.

I am hopeful that this program will help me reach my goals as a singer. I am enjoying the daily workouts and am excited to see how much my voice grows with the program and lessons! :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    edited January 2016
    @ladyninja93

Hi, Shamara!

We're glad you found your way here. We really don't like to mention those other vocal programs here, because they really don't work, and sometimes it starts flame wars. I spent about 2 1/2 years honestly trying my best on that program, and it didn't work for me. I tried a lot of the other vocal programs out there, too, and they didn't do much, either.

When I started KTVA, it became obvious to me that I had found my vocal home that I had been looking for.

I think it is significant, in your case, that you actually have given such a serious effort to your studies with that program, to actually have travelled to Nashville and spent time and money trying to accomplish your musical goals. I think you will find that KTVA is a much more Real-World approach to singing that will give you the versatility, including power AND lighter singing that will unlock your full vocal potential.

It's hard to put aside everything that you've studied in the past, but you really have to start over at Square One and trust that Ken is going to help you build your voice correctly, from the ground UP. All of that SLS stuff is just going to confuse things. Students try to "combine" what they learned from that program, but it just doesn't hold up. It's like trying to mix oil and water, to try to include those concepts. The whole approach is wrong. Forget that. At least you learned lip bubbles, but they incorrectly teach you to use your hands to assist. Even that is wrong. That prevents you from learning to relax your face.

We won't be trying to justify what Ken teaches in order to have it make sense in terms of combining it with other programs. Here the focus is KTVA. KTVA will get you where you want to go.

You will be so glad you switched.

You'll pick up Ken's methods quickly. Just leave that other program in the dust. At least you have found your new home, finally!

Nice to know you!

Bob