Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Total novice?

Hi!

I've had a long time dream of learning to sing. That all sounds good and optimistic but I'm over 30 and have zero musical training beyond teaching myself to play 2 or 3 songs on a guitar (and not particularly well at that).

Is this a good program for someone like me? The students on the videos song amazing of course but I'm really starting from zero. My impression from reading some posts here is that most are coming from a background of singing or some formal training.

I'm not lazy and rather am very goal oriented. I don't doubt the skill of KT, just whether this is the right place to start and what sort of results or progress are realistic. I'd rather someone said hey, if you work tirelessly for, say, a year then you'll be pretty good at karaoke...rather than saying I could sing competently for some garage band in 6 months!

Comments

• streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    edited January 2016
    It's probably a plus because you have developed no bad habits. If you put in the hour a day 5-6 days a week, replicating what Ken is showing you, you'll go far. Try and use the forum as much as possible in order to get feedback on how well you are doing the exercises... 99 percent of the first 6 months will go towards developing the strength and muscle memory in order to develop good habits, growing both tone and range.

A lot of the Pro singers here have had previous training or worked out stuff for themselves but if you buy the course and gain access to the private parts of the forum, you'll see Ken giving one on one tuition trying to break their Bad habits. Ken basically has to press the reset button on everyone. Including Gabby, Tori or whomever you have seen on Youtube. You' also get to see them being rebuilt.

People who have previous musical training will likely have a keener ear in order to self critique but that's where the forum comes in and the more experienced ears can help you out! There's no malice here, so everyone is always trying to help you get better and find the solution as fast as possible.
  • kaulferskaulfers Pro Posts: 300
    @Adrianna34,

Yes, you're not alone and if you poke around here a bit you'll find there are a lot of us in the same boat. Which is a good thing because it's very doable.

For me, it was starting off with learning pitch. Which there is a section in the lessons for us on starting with the very basics.

Welcome.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @Adrianna34,

Hey, if you work tirelessly for a year, then you might be pretty good at karaoke... : ^)

Can you carry a tune? If not, it will be harder for you. If you can carry a tune and hear pitch pretty well, it will be easier for you.

This is a course that is suitable for seasoned pros to come in and start over from the basics and vastly improve their voices.

It's also a course where novices can come in and learn from the ground up how to sing. Being goal-oriented and not lazy are good factors to help you keep working at it and to stay on track. This is something that takes regular practice and also takes time to improve at. It can seem almost overwhelming at first, because even for folks that have sung before, they have to learn to break old bad habits, and Ken gives you a lot of information from the very beginning. You kind of have to learn each concept individually, and then work towards combining more and more of them at once. We're all different, and we all have different experiences with singing, but we all fit in somewhere.

The good news is that we are helping one another, and this is a safe zone. Here you can have flaws or be lost, and the next thing you know, someone is there helping you to get things sorted out and helping to point you in the right direction, so that you can start helping yourself, and eventually, others.

Seasoned pros are astounded at how much better their voices become, once they get out of their old ruts and embrace Ken's methods. Newbies don't have habitual ruts that are quite as deep as some of us who have a lifetime of incorrect singing experience.

You will fit in here right where your experience (or lack of) presently is, and from there, you will just be traveling down the same road the rest of us are on. Singing is a life-long journey. Being over 30 isn't a handicap. You want to get started now, so that you can enjoy the rest of the ride as a better singer! The longer you continue to work the exercises and study the methods, the more your voice will continue to improve, for years to come.

Why waste time and money on programs that will never get you anything like the kind of results that following the KTVA path will bring you?

All the Best!

Bob
  • Adrianna34Adrianna34 Pro Posts: 12
    Bob, ok, ok, I might have liked to have my own garage band in 3 months instead :)

Just ordered the download of the regular course & pro pack bundle.

So excited and anxious to get started with a structured course and proper path to getting better at this.

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm sure I'll be posting bad but hopefully improving vocal samples and newbie questions quite soon.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Wow! That's totally awesome, Adrianna!

Looking forward to those newbie questions and improving samples!

Fasten your seat belt.

: ^)

Bob