Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Accessing the "baby voice" (aka. warmed up voice)

Ken Tamplin really is a genius for coming up with this concept - it's absolutely crucial for me. Singing without the warmed up state is like running a car without oil - the voice is just not at all agile between the register. Specifically, for me that means vocal fry deteriorated passaggio notes and shrill top with even more distortion between the registers... hoarse voice seems to be almost the expected result, especially if support is lacking at all.

I would like to inquire if anyone has found a way to access this state a bit quicker (and preferably without any strain). For me the best method so far seems to be to sing about 30-45 minutes and then take a break... 2 hours later the voice just seems to lift upwards. I have also heard that some people use singing through a straw to warm up the voice. Is this actually effective? Seems a bit light to me, but any experiences? I really would like to cut down on my warm up time a bit.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    I messed up my voice badly trying that "sing through the straw" thing. I really advise you to steer clear of that one.

30 - 45 minutes of warmup time really isn't much to give to get the benefits from doing it. Ken sometimes does about 70 minutes to get fully warmed up. You aren't doing yourself any favors by wanting to dive into singing before being fully warmed-up.

I understand wanting to get to the fun stuff, but it's not fun if you wear your voice out by trying to do things that require a fully-warmed-up voice.

Best!

Bob