Home The Singer's Lobby

Vocal fry/rasp

HaakonHaakon Member Posts: 10
Hi there.

Noob question here.. :smile:

I have sung for almost two years and do about one hour practice a day.
I can hold a quite powerful clean tone and have grasped how to compress my voice at a "entrance level".
I can also place my notes acceptable in different places. In front of the mouth or in the back, nasally, lifting soft pallet, and so on. I´ve also got the concept of chest, head and mixed voice. Of corse there´s room for major improovements there as well.

I´ve been trying to figure out vocal fry.
I´ve seen Ken´s video clip about it, and I understand that it is a thing you develop over time. But I can´t seem to understand what my throat is supposed to do.
How do I go from a clean note to a healthy "hazy" starting point to build from?
I´ve been trying for some time now to at least touch the fry-concept, but I´ve failed.

Regards
Haakon

Comments

• streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    This is a massive subject and kind of hard to get into without knowing where your vocal training is currently. I'm still trying to get into it myself but when I do get the desired effect it comes from a very relaxed place with a tonne of support in order to hold back the air.
  • HaakonHaakon Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2016
    streeter said:

This is a massive subject and kind of hard to get into without knowing where your vocal training is currently. I'm still trying to get into it myself but when I do get the desired effect it comes from a very relaxed place with a tonne of support in order to hold back the air.

Thanks Streeter!

I understand it´s hard to say, just like that. I just thought there were some basic things to think about when I approach it.
    I´m hoping I can do a recording of myself in a near future, so there´s a better chance of telling me where I´m at. Who knows, I might be far from it.
    I´ll just want to at least touch it accidentially, so I maybe know what direction I should go.