Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello~ and may I ask a question?

Hello, I'm new, I'm from the south of England, and I generally sing soprano in a university a cappella group. I love it, don't get me wrong, but all my life I've only ever really sung in head voice, classically, and things like evensong in cathedrrals- and I'd like to change that now I'm away from school.

What I'd really like to know, is how to belt. I know, that sounds like a cliche, I'm sure it is one, but please, do hear me out. In terms of reliable, workable notes, I can sing fairly high in my head voice up to about E6, and down to an average-ish lowness of C3.

I've been trying to more singing in chest voice, but the break for me is lowish, somewhere about G4, so in order to not cop-out and continue to sing powerfully further than that (most songs), I need to do something differently!

Any basic advice?

Thanks for your time if you read that :-)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @Susannah!

We would need to hear you doing some Lah scales down in your chest voice to hear what you are doing. It is likely that you have simply never trained nor exercised your chest and mid registers. That will atrophy your chest voice and the upper mids. You can most likely exercise that part of your voice and revive it or find it for the first time, unless for some reason it has been damaged. It's more likely that it's just in its dormant state.

Send us a demo so we can hear what's going on with your voice. Scales are better than songs, so we can isolate what's what.

All the Best.

Bob