Home The Singer's Lobby
Options

Dry throat?

Jewel142Jewel142 Member Posts: 13
Sometimes at the beginning of the night, I suffer from dry throat even though I have been drinking water all day and warm up before a gig. While singing, I am making sure I cut back my air and that I am supporting well. I think it has to do with nerves.

Has anyone else experienced this? It usually happens during my first set of the night.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    The tendency to have nervousness is usually greatest during the beginning of a performance. You have to be very careful to avoid oversinging while you are in that state. Your set should not come out of the gate with intense singing, but rather be more of a warm-up for the following sets. You should alternate between mid - intensity songs and then more moderate songs, then a bit more intense, but not one right after the other of difficult vocal songs if you want to make it through a 4 or 5 hour set.

As to the dryness, if it's due to nervousness, then the only alternative is hydration and relaxation to counteract the dryness and nervousness.

Being on top of your game vocally is a good idea, so that your training will kick in to carry you through while your mind is in fight-or-flight mode.

:^)

All the Best!

Bob