Home Psychology of Singing

Looking "pregnant" while singing?

Hey there!

I recently started Volume 1 but somehow struggle to make progress. I have now come to think that maybe I really need to dig deeper into breathing and support before I go any further...
I was sure I had it figured out because I have been singing for a few years but my breath just always feels restricted in a way.

So, from what people have told me, my impression was that you need to expand your belly as much as you can in order to get support (kind of to the point of looking pregnant) - because you need to breath with your diaphragm, not with your chest.
But watching a lot of advanced singers sing, I wonder: Why does their belly NOT expand?! I mean, it may expand a little but really so little that it's not actually visible unless you really pay attention.

Now, what is the right way to do it? Do I need to expand my belly? Or is it possible to breath with your diaphragm while the belly is kept in? I am pretty confused right now because I have been trying to fully breathe into my stomach for a long time. I must be doing something wrong though because my breathing doesn't feel easy or free.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Don't go completely overboard with this, but initially, to make sure you are actually using the lowering of the diaphragm to increase the power of your breath, you need to exaggerate a little bit. You don't need to give birth, but you should look a little bit like you're expecting... Then, after really engaging the diaphragm and getting the feel of it, you can be a little more discreet about it.

The thing is, whenever you're not sure if you're getting it right, you should make sure that belly is coming forward and out. Bring it back in slowly, like the bellows on an accordion, having the travel inwards of the belly last the whole length of the note or phrase or scale you are singing.

Bob