Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Ghost - If You have Ghosts (Acoustic Vocal Cover)

MattP75MattP75 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
Hello,

I've been doing the KTVA course for about 13 months, and this is my first attempt at recording a cover song.
I've left the original vocal in as I couldn't find a vocal free backing track of this particular song, but the vocals are fairly well hidden for most part.

My take is unedited and fairly raw, I'm interested in getting feedback on technique for the most part.
If anyone gets a chance to listen, let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/user-460845734/ghost-if-you-have-ghosts/s-2fjhl

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Nice Job, @MattP75,

Nice tone, good pitch. Consistency in the breath is there, good support. Nice and bright.

At 1:37 could use more support on that line.

Good job.

Bob
  • MattP75MattP75 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
    Thanks @highmtn for the feedback.

Yeah, I struggled a bit with that sustained note on the "Ee" vowel at 1:37, I've been trying to open the throat as much as possible and modify into "Eh", but then I lose support and the note cracks.

To be honest, of all of the vowel sounds in the course, I find "Ee" the hardest one to get to grips with, I still struggle with it in the Vol3 audio workouts.

Cheers

Matt
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited September 2016
    "Real" on an F#4 can be hard to get into and sustain. It's almost an "ih" sound on your recording, which is to be avoided and substituted when possible. Vowel transitions up high are tough, so you want to center the vowels around whatever vowel is dominant there.

I am Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal

becomes

Ah-ee ehmrayeeeeeeeahl

It's the "Aye-EE" We soften the beginning of the EE with a quick "A" (like in say) AyEEEEEEE to help get to that EE without slamming it and allowing us to keep the throat open through the contiguous phrase.
    Right OK, thanks @highmtn that's very useful info.

Listening to the phrase I can hear what you mean about the "ih" sound, I never thought of it in that way before.
    Phrasing the line like that definitely feels like there's no where to go when I get up top, and I'm kind of holding on uncomfortably until the end of the line.

Try to make it more of a contiguous phrase, keeping the throat open to the extent possible, and moving from vowel to vowel to the closest neighbors in the family of vowels when possible, and keeping the consonants light.
    @MattP75,

Dude.

I think you have arrived. This is really nice. Really good job on the recording, mixing, EQ, tasty effects. The vocals are spot-on. Nitpicky Bob says "If" should be "ef" but nobody listens to him, ehnyway.

This sounds more like a polished, finished product in so many ways.
    edited January 2017
    Wow! thanks Bob @highmtn , I wasn't expecting such a positive response. ☺
    Your comments are really appreciated.

I'm glad the progress I've made over the last few months is evident, sometimes it's hard to determine it for yourself.

I'm going move on to a new song soon, not sure which yet though.....
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    Sounding great, Matt! I really like your tone and the smoothness of your voice, sounds really effortless but well controlled.
    Thanks for the comment @TommyM , much appreciated!