Home Off Topic

How to soften hard D sounds when singing with compression

LDO649XLDO649X Pro Posts: 8
Hi everyone,
I am having a difficult time recording the vocals on one of my bands heavier songs. Specifically, when I sing the word "God", it comes at the end of a hard phrase and at the end of my breath. The D sound comes off as very harsh or heavy. Is there a way to soften the D sound or use another sound that sounds like I used a D? I actually have several hard D sounds in this song and they really stand out when you put a little reverb to it.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Rob

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    We actually should always try to be minimizing consonants and dwelling on the vowels. It's hard to give advice out of the context of the song. Sometimes we glom an ending consonant onto the beginning consonant of the next word, and try to minimize how much we even use that consonant combination. The use of vowels and consonants is somewhat dependent upon the phrase, the pitches of the lyrics, and other variables, so it's a little hard to just say use a ___ instead.

Consonants cause our open throat to close down, so we avoid them to the extent possible so that we can have an open throat as much of the time as possible.

All the Best!

Bob
  • LDO649XLDO649X Pro Posts: 8
    I could send you a short clip to give you the idea of what I am talking about if it would help.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes. It's hard to guess or predict what notes and textures this is happening on, so we need the context in order to offer any meaningful suggestions.

Thanks.

Bob