Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Chairlift. What is her singing placement?

Hi!

I'm wondering about the singer in Chairlift. This is the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QfUuVyJlbg. I'm wondering how she gets that placement at 0:30. Sounds like she goes into head voice but it feels like its a bit covered. The notes get really in your face when she sings them. I'm quite sure how to explain it in a another way.

Anybody know what that sound is?

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    edited October 2016
    She's going through her passagio and deliberately allowing the break instead of smoothing through it. It's almost the yodel sound that we normally don't want to let people hear. So instead of blending through her break, she is maximizing the difference there. So she starts in chest, and breaks straight into a timbral head voice, then back to chest voice. Chest: When the game's alr- Head: eady-lost be- Chest: fore it starts. The break is on the "r" of "already".
  • Options
    JonasFinnLarssonJonasFinnLarsson Pro Posts: 200
    edited October 2016
    highmtn said:

She's going through her passagio and deliberately allowing the break instead of smoothing through it. It's almost the yodel sound that we normally don't want to let people hear. So instead of blending through her break, she is maximizing the difference there. So she starts in chest, and breaks straight into a timbral head voice, then back to chest voice. Chest: When the game's alr- Head: eady-lost be- Chest: fore it starts. The break is on the "r" of "already".

Thanks Bob! Didn't think about because she does it really good so it sounds nice. I like the flip but only if you dont use it too much.