Home Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
Options

Finding "Style"

I've been told by more than one person that my voice sounds like the jazzy, standards style of singing esp. from the 40's era. Honestly, that wasn't the genre I was just dreaming about in the beginning. I thought to myself, "Oh no. My parent's music." However, lately, I am beginning to think, if it's not the tallest mountain for me to climb then it might be a good place for me to begin.

In time, I am hoping that, as my voice strengthens, I'll be able to experiment with a number of different styles. That's one thing I so admire about Ken Tamplin. He can really nail ANY style! I ultimately want to work toward that! I do really like the idea of taking songs, like current hit songs, and doing covers with a jazzy twist. That would be fun and have a more current feel, I think.

Aside from training each day with the KTVA exercises, what I also want is some experience singing for audiences! Around where I live, it seems the most popular band music is rock & dance bands mixed with a small amount of country. They all seem to limit the variety to what is on the radio. I hear the venues mainly just want the bar to stay busy.

I would love to find a way to successfully create enough interest for a band with modern jazzy leanings. If there was a way to break into my local music community with that it would be great. I'm not sure where to begin. It seems like music goers would appreciate some variety at times. I just need to figure out how to pursue this idea and make it sellable enough to get some gigs.

Comments

• Options
    MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    I think we all have a style that fits our voice nicely. With Ken though, I think we will gradually learn more techniques that will allow us to sing more styles and not be so boxed in.

For me, at the moment in these early stages, my voice suits those love ballady type of songs or things that sound really "pure". I want that "rock" voice but I am not able to pull it off convincingly - yet. Only 6 weeks in at the moment, and yet the difference in my voice is very noticeable to me.

I don't know what is to come in Course 2 and 3 yet so I am just going to trust from everything that I have heard, and from watching Ken and his students that one day I will be able to do those rock songs much more convincingly.

On a side note, yesterday when I was singing, a neighbour introduced themselves to me and said they love my singing, they live a few doors down and play piano and said we should get together and do a sing along.
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    That's pretty cool, Matsy, that someone told you they like your voice, just from nowhere. A sing along might be fun.