Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Vocal Range - 14 year old boy

I am a 14 year old boy. I have a vocal range from G#2 to F#4 in my chest voice, and can go all the way up to E5 if in head voice. I was wondering what I would be considered as? Baritone? Tenor?

Comments

• MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    Probably a baritone. I agree with Ken though - why put yourself in a box? With work you could get you chest and head voices higher. So try not to limit yourself and more importantly don't let anyone else limit you. Also you are at a stage where your voice is most likely changing and so how it will be in a few years is very different to what it is now.

I went through a stage at 15 years old where I couldn't sing anything. Sounded like a frog was trying to die violently in my throat.

Given a chance most vocal teachers will happily put you in a box and tell you that you can only sing in a certain range and certain style. Less work for them I guess - they don't actually have to really know anything about how to actually improve your voice. Don't let someone else laziness prevent you from being freaking awesome!
  • Max_HorsewoodMax_Horsewood Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, Matsy! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
  • coljacolja Member Posts: 45
    > @Matsy said:
    > Probably a baritone. I agree with Ken though - why put yourself in a box? With work you could get you chest and head voices higher. So try not to limit yourself and more importantly don't let anyone else limit you. Also you are at a stage where your voice is most likely changing and so how it will be in a few years is very different to what it is now.
    >
    > I went through a stage at 15 years old where I couldn't sing anything. Sounded like a frog was trying to die violently in my throat.
    >
    > Given a chance most vocal teachers will happily put you in a box and tell you that you can only sing in a certain range and certain style. Less work for them I guess - they don't actually have to really know anything about how to actually improve your voice. Don't let someone else laziness prevent you from being freaking awesome!

What happened. I'm at that 15 stage as well. My range in chest is D2/E2-E4 maybe F4 without straining. If I try to access mix voice I sound breathy (not enough cord closure) and like a frog. But my head voice goes up to c6 (not falsetto, pure head, I can record it). What happened with you at that stage? Should I just stop before I hurt myself. I have a baritone range with a baritone sound in the lower notes and tenor sound (light sound) in my upper range.