Home Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos

Geoff Tate (Silent Lucidity)

Since I was a kid I loved Silent Lucidity. It is a simple, yet beautiful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL5HwghYXGE

I have no problem singing the first verse, but things get tricky on the second one (starting at 1:25) when vocals move up one octave. Tate seems to sing right around the passaggio area (D4-E4) with ease. It doesn't sound like chest voice, but doesn't sound like head voice either. I am guessing it is some kind of mix? How can I learn to sing in that area with the same ease?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited June 2017
    That's the area above the primo passaggio but below the secondo passaggio. It's a lighter version of chest voice. It's chest voice with most of the chest shed, and in a lighter delivery than full-on call register.

You can learn to sing in that same area with the same ease by practicing in that range at approximately the same volume and tone intensity that Geoff is using.

So do scales that start a little below that and go up to a little above that, and spend a lot of time acclimating your voice to that amount of weight at that volume. Go up and down.

Practice this both with stepped interval scales and also with sliders. In the sliders, be mindful of this tone and volume level you are wanting to emulate.

Practice, practice, practice. Support, support, support!

:-)

Bob
  • twelvedesigntwelvedesign Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 239
    @highmtn, thank you! I was reminded of "little boy" voice in another thread, and listening again to this recording, it seems like that is exactly what Tate is doing. Well, perhaps not all the way to "little boy" voice, but definitely lighter version :)