Home Off Topic

Not a big fan of the bright timbre (AH vowel)

Heeeey KTVA! First off i wanna thank you guys for being so friendly and helpful :)
I was wondering though. I'm not a very big fan of the really bright timbre that Ken teaches, and i don't feel like it suits my style of singing. That led me to wonder, will i still be able to learn and utilise other techniques such as glottal compression and connecting the chest and headvoice without utilising the bright AH sound/vowel modifications?? I don't regret buying the course, and i feel like Ken has helped me a lot in understanding proper breath support. I just wanted to know if it is possible for me to progress in the course despite not striving for the brightness??
Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You won't progress as far if you pick and choose what parts of the course you want to follow. Ken says you don't have to always use the bright sound, but you do need to train on it so that your voice will grow and so that you will get the benefits from that. After training that way, you can sing in a covered or darker sound if that's your preference.

In the end, you are going to sing like you want to sing, and use what you want to use. It's in your own best interest to do exactly what Ken says, training in that way, and then do your picking and choosing.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    @DanielJensen

I think what bob just said here is the best advice you can get on this subject.
    KTVA teaches a lot of technique, and you will gain muscle memory, stamina and an increased range etc. if you stick to it. How you eventually sing is your own choice, but you will have all the tools for singing if you use the program the way it was designed.

All the best,

Ben