Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Does conditioning the Abs actually helps us to sing better?

Does conditioning the abs by doing either planks or some other exercises actually helps us to sing better in one way or another?Are there any other muscles that actually makes us sing better if we condition them? What about flexibility of the body , does it also affects our singing?

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I actually love doing planks! I feel it connects me to feeling all the underlying components of my core. Does it help me sing better? Perhaps... but once we fully adopt diaphragmatic breathing when we sing, it is actually kind of the inverse of how we hold ourselves if we want to show off our washboard abs :wink:
    Physical training and keeping the body in peak supple shape is a fantastic idea, just as proper hydration and diet are. It all feeds the engine that drives everything.

I've also heard Ken talk about doing a bit of sprinting, then trying to control your anaerobic state with glottal compression. This is think is invaluable insight, as when we take the stage and our adrenaline is coursing and our hearts are racing, this is tough to tame.

Bottom line is, a healthy body = a healthy voice. (generally speaking)

Cheers,

Phillip