Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Critique please :) 'My Funny Valentine'

s3nyanyanyas3nyanyanya Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 2
edited December 2017 in SINGER/SONGWRITERS
I am a beginner, yet I love singing. Fellow singer senpai's, here is a Youtube video of me freestyling 'my funny valentine'... I know I changed some keys and it might be weird... I was nervous, even in front of an iPhone (facepalm).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fheDQI3pyfY

This is by no means a marketing 'hey look at me I am awesome follow me' post, just wanting to know you guys' ideas sincerely. I wanna improve and I appreciate constructive critiques.

From my point of view, I have so damn much tension in my voice. I can even feel it getting worse when I am in front of the camera. I am not sure where the tension is exactly from though... tongue? neck? jaw?...

Any idea is welcome.

Thank you all!! <3

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @s3nyanyanya,
    This sounds pretty good. The main thing you should work on is getting your throat open more. You're right, it's kind of tight at places. You have good cord closure, and that is important, but the vocal tract itself should be nice and open, like when you say AH for the doctor to see down your throat. Learn to keep your throat more open and you will find more ease in your singing.
  • s3nyanyanyas3nyanyanya Member, STREAMING PRO Posts: 2
    highmtn said:

@s3nyanyanya,
    This sounds pretty good. The main thing you should work on is getting your throat open more. You're right, it's kind of tight at places. You have good cord closure, and that is important, but the vocal tract itself should be nice and open, like when you say AH for the doctor to see down your throat. Learn to keep your throat more open and you will find more ease in your singing.

@highmtn Thanks a ton! I will be more aware of my throat, and look into more training materials around opening the throat :D